ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 — first impressions

<< < (16/18) > >>

J-Mac:
Poorly programmed isn't the same as crapware. -f0dder (December 12, 2009, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

True, but when the apps I mentioned were called "poorly designed", I usually associate that with a similar term that I wanted to avoid - "sh*tware"...  so I hedged!   :-[

Jim    :)

Innuendo:
And then there are some developers who are apparently trying but it simply isn't working. I use - or use to use up till a few days ago - ACDSee Photo Manager 2009. Worked fine on XP and Vista, but won't work for many on Windows 7.-J-Mac (December 11, 2009, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not doubting your words. However, I have personal knowledge of 8 installs of ACDSee Photo Manager 2009 on Windows 7-based computers & laptops of varying ages and none of them have anything to report other than smooth sailing.

This problem must be a very tricky one indeed to track down. I'd be lost without my ACDSee. I started using it way back in the v2.x days and the ACDSee way of doing things is too ingrained in my being to ever switch picture viewers. Every attempt to check out others results in me missing the ACDSee workflow.

Innuendo:
You might be on to something there - I usually install to D:\Program Files when an installer gives the option and I am not plagued by UAC prompts either.-Carol Haynes (December 11, 2009, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

When Vista was released a lot of older games wouldn't work unless you installed them somewhere other than C:\Program Files.

(The following is not addressed to Carol, but just general discussion to carry on the thread)

I'm sure the state of development that UAC is in now is not the end of the road. There'll be enhancements and tweaks going forward. I'm sure MS is just easing everyone into this kind of OS security, developers and users alike. I wouldn't be surprised if one day MS released an OS where UAC could not be adjusted or turned off.

People pining for the days of how things worked in XP and before just need to get over it. Running as super-admin/root all the time is never a good idea under any circumstances. Before someone pipes up and tries to point one out...the answer is no. You're wrong. What you think might be a valid circumstance is just software that needs to be re-written to do things the right way.

Fifteen years from now we'll all be looking back at how quaint XP was for running users as root all the time much like we look back at Windows 3.1 and think how quaint it was.

J-Mac:
And then there are some developers who are apparently trying but it simply isn't working. I use - or use to use up till a few days ago - ACDSee Photo Manager 2009. Worked fine on XP and Vista, but won't work for many on Windows 7.-J-Mac (December 11, 2009, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not doubting your words. However, I have personal knowledge of 8 installs of ACDSee Photo Manager 2009 on Windows 7-based computers & laptops of varying ages and none of them have anything to report other than smooth sailing.

This problem must be a very tricky one indeed to track down. I'd be lost without my ACDSee. I started using it way back in the v2.x days and the ACDSee way of doing things is too ingrained in my being to ever switch picture viewers. Every attempt to check out others results in me missing the ACDSee workflow.
-Innuendo (December 13, 2009, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not everyone, but check their forum to see that it's a lot. Just in case you didn't see this:

This used to show Windows 7 as a compatible OS.

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

And this is from the knowledge base.

[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]

Jim

Innuendo:
It's not everyone, but check their forum to see that it's a lot. Just in case you didn't see this:
-J-Mac (December 13, 2009, 11:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Like I said, I am not doubting you at all. As a matter of fact, the official word from the ACD Systems reps in the forums is that ACDSee 2009 isn't Windows 7 certified. However, they are saying that its problems are limited to having trouble with Libraries & large DPI settings.

And yeah...their solution is probably going to be to just shovel out ACDSee Photo Manager 2010 and ignore 2009's problems. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version