ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 — first impressions

<< < (7/18) > >>

zridling:
I haven't used Win7 much in the vm I have setup for it under Linux, but my first impression was similar to others': Why the heck did they bury select pieces of the Control Panel and Device Manager? Yet I do think it's the best Windows ever.

Curt:
Edited: I forgot the initial line:
"I am on Vista, and doesn't yet have Win 7"
---
Does UAC on Win 7 not have a "quiet mode", like Vista has?
Snap from WinAbility:

I don't believe UAC ever was invented to help the user. UAC is exactly like the EULA; it is there so that in case there ever will be a trial, they can claim, "oh, but we told you so!" And that is of course all the UAC as well is for. It was solely invented so Microsoft can keep their back in the clear no matter what ugliness gets into your computer: "Oh, but we told you so!". I have not seen the UAC pop-up since the day I installed the TweakUAC™, and I never looked back. Of course, I then have other programs to do the necessary job, but they also do it much better than I could do it. Because as it was said earlier in this thread, after a while, with UAC,  you just confirm  without reading what it is you are confirming.

I don't know if any of these UAC tweakers are ready for Win 7.

---

Regarding the Control Panel. It is a good idea to have it show up as a menu, rather than as a shortcut. My Vista was installed by a third party company, which, if you will forgive me the hight, gave me this quite awesome control panel menu (in Danish):

378x4169 pixels:

-

Curt:
- oh, I forgot:

Theory versus Real Life:

Theory: UAC is a good idea.
Real Life:
Curt to girl friend: "Did you install the security program I gave you?"
Girl friend: "No, Windows the computer said it was dangerous"

That is Real Life!

Darwin:
Am I the only user who is NOT annoyed by UAC? Heck, even my wife uses her vista laptop and has not complained about UAC. She has even said UAC is helpful in that it can help prevent accidental deletion of a file she didn't intend to touch. UAC in Windows 7 is far from intrusive, in my opinion. Vista was overbearing at times with UAC but this was greatly improved in 7. The problem with UAC is that most application developers, even after a few years with Vista, have not realized what is throwing these UAC prompts and have not updated their applications. I have a feeling this will change with Win7, but one can only wonder why it hasn't happened sooner.
</rant>
-Josh (November 29, 2009, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope - doesn't bother me, either. I have not had an issue with it under Vista 32 bit, Vista 64 bit and now Windows 7.

Darwin:
2) Instead of running the application via the normal startup option set up a scheduled task to start the program at login and give the task admin rights. See http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=616 for details on how to do it it Vista - the same appraoch works in Windows 7.
-Carol Haynes (November 30, 2009, 06:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes - this is what I have done and I no longer suffer UAC prompts on system start for SpellChecker or for Acronis something or other  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version