topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:30 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: a Privacy policy "as amended from time to time" - huh?  (Read 6509 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a Privacy policy "as amended from time to time" - huh?
« on: November 26, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Can this possibly even be legal? I presume it is but you never know ;)
I tried to download a trial of an Adobe product - it (twice) sent me to 'a company page' (maybe only companys are allowed download trial? I dunno) looking for pretty much all my contact details so I thought I'd better look at the privacy policy

Please note that the practices of Adobe Systems Incorporated, its affiliates, and agents ("Adobe"), with respect to data collected and used by Adobe in connection with this website and all other websites of Adobe with authorized links to this policy (collectively, the "Site") and Adobe products and services available or enabled via the Site ("Products and Services"), are governed by this online privacy policy ("Privacy Policy") as amended from time to time, and not the privacy policy in effect at the time the data was collected.
My emphasis. Link

so basically there's no point in even reading the policy... (no point in giving private details either...)
I'm shocked (really) - is this kind of thing common ? - I never read this stuff usually

[removed 'Adobe' from the title as this seems to be standard - & the reason they looking for so much info explained in reply #3]
Tom
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:18 AM by tomos »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Adobe's Privacy policy "as amended from time to time" - huh?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 01:18 PM »
Privacy policies are regularly amended, I have seen that many times. I don't want to sound like I am defending them because I am not and wouldn't want to but to have privacy policy apply to 'new users from now on' is little use to corporations legally speaking.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 02:47 PM »
Tomos, remember that companies' privacy policies have to work within the prevailing legal framework - basically it's what you're entitled to by law, plus a bit of extra privacy on top.

And as you have the foresight to have chosen to live in the EU, your local privacy laws will be pretty robust.  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 02:56 PM »
Privacy policies are regularly amended, I have seen that many times. I don't want to sound like I am defending them because I am not and wouldn't want to but to have privacy policy apply to 'new users from now on' is little use to corporations legally speaking.
no,
I know you're not defending! - as I say, it's probably the first I've really looked at.
I going to go make a new email address - I mean usually for a trial they might want a name & email at most, dont know why they trying to make it so difficult

Hmmm the 'company page' (i.e. the one where you have to fill in company details) seems to be related to my signature(!) - to get a trial of one of their 'standard' apps, you get a regular register page (name/city/email) but for the FreeHand progrmame (which they're still selling, in spite of not developing it) to download that trial, you need to be a company - I guess they dont want to make it too accessible for various reasons (you actually have to search for Freehand there - I think the only reason they selling it at all was possibly a condition of their purchase of Flash - & everything else - from Macromedia)

And as you have the foresight to have chosen to live in the EU, your local privacy laws will be pretty robust.  :)
thanks for that vote of confidence in me . . and the EU privacy laws ;D
Tom

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:15 AM »
Yeah, every company's privacy policy is worded like that. It's standard boilerplate anymore.

As for my privacy, when I'm plugging in personal data for a trial software download for some weird reason it always comes out as being Elvis Aaron Presley's personal information. :)

And if it is one of those 'clever' sites that only emails you a download link you can usually circumvent the whole ordeal altogether and get the trial software off of BetaNews or Softpedia or FileHippo.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: a Privacy policy "as amended from time to time" - huh?
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Yeah, every company's privacy policy is worded like that. It's standard boilerplate anymore.

I removed 'Adobe' from thread title as everyone saying this standard bahaviour - it was the combination of demanding so much info & then seeing the privacy policy that got me posting in the first place...
Ironically,
I could have, (as you say Innuendo) downloaded it from loads of other sites....
Tom

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 04:34 PM »
I could have, (as you say Innuendo) downloaded it from loads of other sites....

It's because of this behavior anymore that when it comes to certain software products from certain companies looking on the company web site for a download is last place I'll look.

EDIT: Fixed atrocious quoting.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:44 AM by Innuendo »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 03:22 AM »
This is exactly why I paid a measly $9.95 for a Spamex account!

Jim