ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Be careful with your credit cards!

<< < (3/5) > >>

iphigenie:
I've ran a web agency that had lots of ecommerce websites - our clients had some truly fraudulent orders, some that common sense should have spotted - and a good number of fraud claims turned out to be fake fraud, i.e. people trying to claim they didn't buy the things they did once the credit card bill hit (a spike of those in January). Strangely enough the banks did not seem interested in correcting those, even when presented with the evidence that the signature on the delivery slip at that "not my home" address was the same as that on the crime report (which means either they did it, or perhaps their son imitating their signature, or something along those lines)

I think nowadays the web is safer than the phone, because banks are more likely to take your word for it, refund, chargeback to the merchant or claim it on insurance.

Although I suspect in the case of April they are a bit careful because to them it does not look like fraud, just an "honest" mistake around exchange rates - and a "proper" company on the other side. Although normally in case of mis-billing, all you need to do is show that you tried to get it rectified (in short, wait a while) then write and they do cancel. I had that with a subscription service once, and hsbc made me write a letter explaining what I'd tried, (to cover their ass) then did a chargeback

If they don't, appeal to the card "brand" - mastercard or visa - they might do something as some of these things are part of the "card guarantee" long shot, though

Innuendo:
Although I suspect in the case of April they are a bit careful because to them it does not look like fraud, just an "honest" mistake around exchange rates - and a "proper" company on the other side.-iphigenie (November 27, 2009, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

You mean Carol and not April, yes?

Curt:
isn't there some homepage where we can go and check if a company have been accused several times for credit card fraud? I have one of these situations at the moment; I really don't dare to click "buy", because the site is located in Russia...

zridling:
Wow, thanks for the alert, Carol. I've had "after charges" applied to my card a couple of times, claiming that the stated price didn't take into account shipping to my location. But that's bull.

parkint:
I usually use PayPal for that reason. The problem here was that the discount subscription was only available by post. I could have sent a cheque from the UK but I wasn't sure if/how much the bank would charge when it was cashed in a US account.

I figured that a company the size of Scientific American would at least be honest - I was obviously mistaken.
-Carol Haynes (November 27, 2009, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
A great (new) feature of PayPal that I enjoy is the ability to generate one-time use credit card numbers.
I have watched this work in a few situations where the vendor 'pre-authorizes' an amount before processing the charge.
PayPal denies the additional charges.  I love the idea of a credit card number that can be used only once.
As long as the numbers don't run out (like GUIDs).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version