ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Text editor with filtering of lines

<< < (5/7) > >>

emurasoft:
Hello,

I am Yutaka Emura, the author of EmEditor, and I have posted a few messages in this DonationCoder.com before.

Please allow me to introduce a new version of EmEditor (v14.6), which includes the Filter Bar feature that is discussed in this forum.

https://www.emeditor.com/text-editor-features/history/new-version-14-6/

With the new Filter Bar, you can view only the lines that include a specified string.

Here is the video that shows the Filter feature (watch at 1:12).

Please let me know if you have any questions or any feature requests for future versions.

Thank you!

mouser:
very cool  :up:

x16wda:
As info, SPFlite does this easily (and at no cost).

The caveat is that this is a line-based text editor (it's a clone of the IBM ISPF Edit facility, for any other old mainframers). As such it doesn't behave quite like what you're used to. But for certain things, SPFLite can satisfy like nothing else. I have a copy that I fire up when I need to do things that match its strengths.

As a line-based editor, you have line numbers on the left of the display and a command line at the top. Global types of commands (Find, for example) are entered at the top, and directives for one or more lines are entered in the line number area.

Per the original request, once a file is open, at the top you could type in "x all" (to exclude all lines, hide them from sight) and then "f mailbox all" which would locate every line that contains the word "mailbox" and make it visible:

Text editor with filtering of lines

Any old ISPF Edit user can tell you that it can do things that are impossible in other editors. While that's probably not quite true, it makes a lot of things trivial that would take a lot of work in another editor. And there is definitely a withdrawal when you leave that environment... that's where SPFLite comes in. It is not a perfect clone, but it brings 95% of ISPF Edit and has been extended with additional features (and scripting in Basic, instead of Rexx, which I would prefer).

The free version has an innocuous nag screen that just tells you you're using the free version, and it only shows up more or less every 5th time you use the program, as you're exiting. If you donate (which I have) you get a small utility that fixes it not to display that screen.

As I said, this is not my main text editor, but it is extremely useful to have as a tool. I wish they had a "demo" script written, in the sense that you could follow the script with a sample file and see the unique things it can do.

motiontwelve:
I've tried most of the other suggestions except for EmEditor.  It almost seems like it's in a class of its own. Speechless!

x16wda:
Please let me know if you have any questions or any feature requests for future versions.
-emurasoft (November 01, 2014, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very nice work!

For a feature request, when using the filter bar, maybe it would be nice to be able to see some number of lines of context around each of the found items.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version