ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Text editor with filtering of lines

<< < (2/7) > >>

vixay:
mwb1100, Thanks! :up: I downloaded and tried it and it works as advertised! Simply brilliant :-*. Now I have to get used to a new text editor... :/
I use PSPad , Notepad2, Notepad++ on a regular basis, not I have to replace one of those with editpad i think.

Though the pro version is demo, and the feature is not available in the light version. Any freeware out there that can do this?

Paul Keith:
Is there a Cross-OS alternative to this feature?

xtabber:
Kedit does this, and much more in that vein. For example, you can restrict the view to those lines that contain a target pattern, then mark a rectangular block in the visible scope and modify, copy or move it elsewhere.  But Kedit is most definitely not freeware.

mwb1100:
Though the pro version is demo, and the feature is not available in the light version. Any freeware out there that can do this?
-vixay (November 26, 2009, 03:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not aware of any freeware that does this (but it's not a feature that I look for, either). I actually didn't know off the top of my head that EditPad did this, but it was the first editor I thought of because JGSoft has put a lot of searching/regex capabilities into the editor. JGSoft's core technology and products seem to be oriented around regular expressions.

I took a look at Visual Studio, PSPad, HippoEdit and ConTEXT and couldn't find a similar capability. (I didn't check UltraEdit because I was pretty sure it wasn't there, and you had already mentioned that you looked there).

Unfortunately, I don't think JGSoft does discounts on EditPad Pro very often.  I think the author has been asked about providing a DC discount a couple times with no result (at least no result that we'd like to see). I managed to pick it up when it was on BitsDuJour back in December, but I have no idea if a BDJ discount might be in the cards or not some time in the future.  Maybe last December's discount was the first of an annual 'Christmas' discount.  But, probably not.

MilesAhead:
I have gVimPortable installed, and i fired it up, loaded a file, and then i'm lost. Do you have any specific directions?
-vixay (November 26, 2009, 02:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry but I just used vi editor a bit when I used to mess around with Linux.  I'm sure it's changed a lot over the years.  But even back then you could run complex commands over the contents and move paragraphs around and do quite a bit once you got the hang of it.  I didn't like the feel of going in and out of edit/command mode, but I used it just enough to see how people who stuck with it would get very fast once into the mind set.  I try to stay away from regular expressions as it's too much mental strain to try to figure out what happens with such and such a pattern.  Command line globbing is about as far as I want to get into it.  Gave up on Perl and Ruby because that substitution stuff is too draining for me.  Like vi, I know there are adherents who love to use those type of features.  Gives me a headache though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version