topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How do you launch stuff?  (Read 115221 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How do you launch stuff?
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2009, 12:54 PM »
Here you go tuxman! 40hz just posted a link to CSMenu in another thread, which gives you the classic start menu under Windows 7 (and Vista?).

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2009, 12:55 PM »
I saw this and already bookmarked it, but that doesn't give me my classic taskbar back, does it?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2009, 01:03 PM »
I saw this and already bookmarked it, but that doesn't give me my classic taskbar back, does it?

Er, no! However, one tip I've seen is:

Quick Launch is still available, but it's hidden by default. You have to know where to look:

C:\ Users \ username \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Quick Launch

"Simply create a new toolbar and point to this location. You'll have to enable 'show hidden files' to find it."

Courtesy of Windows Secrets newsletter, November 12, 2009.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2009, 01:06 PM »
Sounds quite interesting... I wonder why they do this.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2009, 01:19 PM »
I use a hodge podge:

FreeCommander for opening media files with an info app, subtitle utility, player, skwire's PlayTime etc. since I have those tools in the toolbar configured to open the selected file.

In Vista I use QuickLaunch.

I use my own ReOpen mostly to reopen folders.  If I type a substring that's not in the list I hit ^c and that brings up Everything Search and enters the substring.  A middle mouse click on the desktop brings up the pop-up window.  No taking my hand off the mouse unless I want to type a search string.

For launching with highlighted text such as opening another browser I use my own Selector.

I made 6 categories of folders for application shortcuts.  I had these in a folder on the desktop, but I moved it to Documents so that it's hidden and put the 6 categories on RocketDock.  Not a single desktop icon now.  I don't care if AutoArrange is on or off anymore!

FARR.

Everything Search.

7stacks.  Just gives more room on the QuickLaunch or Taskbar.  The apps I use most I put in categories such as Internet, Editors, Media(such as Imgburn and encoding apps), File Handling such as FreeCommander, my own Hotkey utilities.  An ordinary folder could do the same but the pop-up glass panel looks cool and it's free so why not? :)

The Windows Start Menu is the last resort.  Usually to look for a Readme file or an uninstall that may not be in the Programs and Features list.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2009, 01:23 PM »
Sounds quite interesting... I wonder why they do this.

Dunno' but mentioning the QuickLaunch reminds me of another launch tip or trick.  Name your QuickLaunch shortcuts with short names, then put the QuickLaunch folder in the Path.  Say you have your favorited editor's shortcut named "edit", if you open a command prompt and type edit, the shortcut will be launched if cmd.exe doesn't find another executable first.

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2009, 06:25 AM »

Hello members,

The new RecentX video shows some neat ways of launching programs, files, folders & websites.

Check out the video at http://www.conceptworld.com/RecentX/

Thanks.

Regards,
Gautam Jain

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2009, 06:37 AM »
- thank you for that video link, Gautam, you have just made me realize that my RecentX can do more useful things than what I was aware of.
 :up:

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2009, 06:45 AM »
I launch stuff most of the times using task commander - it creates a list of apps automatically whenever something is started (whether it is started manually, from a file, from the start menu). I like that I dont have to add new apps (or old apps after a reinstall of the OS) to get them in the menu, and the only management I have to do is hide/remove one-off programs to keep the list short.

Feels like less work to me

It has not been updated for windows7 so if recenx has been, it might provide the same kind of functionality for me in the future :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 06:51 AM by iphigenie »

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2009, 07:28 AM »

Yes, RecentX works on Windows 7.

Regards,
Gautam Jain