ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"New image organizer feedback wanted"

<< < (8/10) > >>

CWuestefeld:
Skipper, I hope the momentum continues, because it looks like you're doing a great job.

I'm very interested in what you're doing. I haven't jumped in yet because, like a few others, I don't have MS search running. But I do intend to install it and limit it to just indexing images, just so I can try this.

One problem with MS Search, at least in years past, is that it didn't want to index network drives. I keep most of my archive on a shared drive so wife can see them too. So that would be a showstopper for me, unless that limitation has improved.

Also, the issue with re-encoding an image every time the metadata is changed is a showstopper.

I'd like to see more to enable workflow. In particular, I'd like to see a simple way to send a photo to any of a set of external apps of my choice. That is, one F key to send to a RAW processor, another F key to send it to an editor. Of course those apps should be editable (RAW Therapee and PaintShopPro in my case). And for bonus points, let it send a whole batch of photos to the RAW processor, if the app supports lists of some sort.

What if I changed it so that when the mouse flies over the thumbnail, I bring up a window ...
-StCroixSkipper (December 04, 2009, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

That sounds pretty cool.

StCroixSkipper:
Another idea I have is to make each thumbnail the thumbnail preview pane like a little window with a 'Maximize' button in the top left corner.  When you hit the maximize button, I would display the fullsize picture with all of the metadata...  Much like double clicking on a thumbnail now.

JohnFredC:
I may have been to the exact spot in those photos.  Looks like Mendanhall glacier in Alaska...

GHammer:
I'd certainly give it a try if the recode jpg issue was solved.
It sound like what I'm looking for, currently a Live Photo user.

StCroixSkipper:
JohnFredC,
Yes it some of the pictures are of the Mendanhall Glacier...

GHammer,
I agree.  I need an encoder that takes the raw image pixels with the changed metadata and creates a new jpg file without munging the image pixels. 

In the past I've written the metadata to an alternate stream on the jpg so I could update the metadata and not even open the jpg.  But then I had to write my own search engine and database (which I did) or write another filter for the Desktop Search Engine Indexer.  But then I lost the metadata when I uploaded images to the net.

I'm researching ways to modify the metadata and saving the new metadata without recompressing the image data.

I can access the stream of raw image data.  What I would like is an encoder that takes the updated metadata and a stream of the raw image data and creates a new jpg file from the two without recompressing the image data.

How are the other apps solving this problem? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version