ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"New image organizer feedback wanted"

<< < (3/10) > >>

tomos:
I dont have net 3.5 (yet) so havent installed

# 10. can you just allow user to put in path to their external editor ? (maybe that's what you had in mind, but, just in case - I reckon this would be important to lots of people)

40hz:
To resolve this, try repairing and/or reinstalling the .NET Framework.
-StCroixSkipper (November 25, 2009, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had a slow day so I gave it a try. (.NET 3.5-SP1 was already installed BTW. :) )

1) Downloaded fresh copy of the installer from Microsoft

2) Ran the installer and selected repair option. - No good. Same lockup with your app.

3) Did a complete uninstall/reboot/new install. - Still no good.

I'm running XP-SP3 on an Athlon-64 w/1.5Gb RAM for this test. I have several other apps on this machine that require .NET 3.5 SP-1, and they're all working fine.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

JavaJones:
I'm at work so I can't try the app, but my two most immediate pieces of feedback, from knowing my workflow with other apps (which I am also not yet satisfied with!) are:

First, make #3, auto-rename of files when moved, totally optional. I like preserving the names of my files, even though they are cryptic, because they are my originals. Only once I finish editing an image do I bother changing its name. I use the folder name for a more descriptive organizational tool, as well as meta data.

Second, I don't use GIMP, though I think it's a good option. So I agree with Tomos, it needs an easy way to specify an alternative app to open with.

Other than that I'm really looking forward to trying this. It looks like a great, quick way to tag and organize.

P.S. Question: does it support RAW image formats yet?

- Oshyan

StCroixSkipper:
I remember I had trouble installing OverExposure on my daughters computer.  It said it had .Net 3.5.  To resolve the problem I downloaded the latest .Net 3.5 and uninstalled the old version and re-installed the new.

StCroixSkipper:
Tomos,
All I do is launch the gimp executable with a commandline argument of the file name.  Gimp uses the file name as the file to open. 

I'm not sure if PhotoShop supports similar commandline input...?  But for those apps that do, I can simply look for their executables and launch them.

If they don't support the commanline input parameter of an image file, I can easily let the user specify the path to the executable and launch it.

Java Jones,
I always change the filenames now and I always add the directory name as the first keyword.  But I can easily make that optional.  Something like a dialog box with a checkbox that says don't show this again...

I don't support raw formats. 
I'm using BitmapEncoder and BitmapDecoder from the WIC functions.  They allow me to access the the easy metadata easily. 

I know that jpeg is a 'lossy' format.  And each time you encode a jpeg file you change the pixel bits that make up the picture.  Since I want to change the metadata and not the image bits, I've looked everywhere for functions that will let me change the metadata and just supply the image bits, but no luck.

I also would like to be able to identify identical images or duplicates on a machine.  Ideally, I would compute an MD5 digest on the image bits and store it in the database.  But I'd need an encoder that allows me to specify the image bits with the new metadata bits and not re-encode the image bits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version