ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

google results

<< < (2/3) > >>

4wd:
[This is a summary or excerpt from the full text of the book or article. The full text of the document is available to subscribers.]
--- End quote ---

It could be that Google is displaying an excerpt from the full text which I cannot see without being a subscriber.

If you are a subscriber, log in to the site and see if it matches what was found.

If you want to know how Google gets to bypass authentication methods and index pages you can't access then I don't know  :-[

kalos:
I am not talking about the full text of the article

I am saying that in google results the preview text is bigger that the preview text offered in the webpage and I wonder how this can happen

for example in this webpage it is not shown the "indication of early ego development, because instinctual needs are.." which is shown in google results!

Curt:
I would expect the extra search result text to come from the full text, created when someone was reading the full text while Google was indexing.

kalos:
it cannot be, it is from all articles, plus there are other domains, irrelevant, that happens this

and how can google index authenticated webpages?

also, google is supposed to index uptodate only versions of webpages, and since this is not the cached version, I suppose google sees even now the more text

last, please note that google does not display the full text of the article, only a bigger preview, and it is not my intention to view the full text without authenticating first, just wonder how google can do that and I want to use it for other websites as well...

4wd:
also, google is supposed to index uptodate only versions of webpages, and since this is not the cached version, I suppose google sees even now the more text-kalos (November 25, 2009, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Google won't cache it because of this line in the source:

<meta name="robots" content="noarchive">

So what is displayed is always going to be whatever Google indexed, whenever it indexed it.

just wonder how google can do that and I want to use it for other websites as well...
--- End quote ---

A question: Did you initially search for "indication of early ego development, because instinctual needs are", a smaller subset of it or something completely different on that page?

I don't know how Google does it but I'm sure there is probably info on the WWW describing it - just need to search for it :)

A way to test whether Google does it normally is to search for something near the bottom of an article and see if Google has picked it up on a site you need to authenticate yourself on.

Assuming that Google has been allowed to index it, the following will stop compliant search engines from indexing the page and any links from it:

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

Or the existence of a robots.txt file in the root with appropriate rules.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version