ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Chrome OS preview looks pretty cool

<< < (9/9)

Deozaan:
Found out from my boss that you log into the *OS* with your Google account. What's up with that?-Ehtyar (November 25, 2009, 11:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, that probably would have seemed weird to me if I hadn't logged into my phone with my google account in starting in May 2009.

You can run ChromeOS from a usb stick now. Boss tried it this morning and had two total system freezes in 10 mins.-Ehtyar (November 25, 2009, 08:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess a lot of progress has been made in the time since you posted this, since it seems to run very well (a little slow sometimes, but that might by USB transfer speeds) on my netbook. As I mentioned before, there are quirks, but it's been stable (no crashes/freezes).

The only thing I can't figure out is the proper way to shut it down. If I just press the Power button on my netbook it will shut down, but then when I boot into Chrome OS again it says it didn't shut down properly and I have to click the button to restore my tabs.

I think this is going to end up being like my experience with Chrome (browser). When I first heard about it I downloaded it, played with it for a few minutes, then uninstalled it. I was happy with Firefox and Chrome didn't add anything new. Then several months later I gave it another try and now I hate when I have to open Firefox. I did the same kind of thing with Chromium OS. I looked at videos and thought it was cool, but wondered why anyone would want just the browser on their computer. Now, almost a year later I'm actually trying it out and all sorts of uses for this come to my mind.

It won't replace a traditional OS on my desktop (or netbook), by any means, but I can actually see how it would be very useful to other people or in specific situations, and even useful for myself in some situations.

Oh, and I found out how to download files, but it is a little troublesome on my setup. For some reason the pop-up window asking me to download just displays a blank page. But if you bring up the Downloads tab (Ctrl-J) then it will let you choose Save or whatever is necessary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version