ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Chrome OS preview looks pretty cool

<< < (7/9) > >>

Ehtyar:
The OS does not support hard drives, just SSDs (solid state devices)-zridling (November 19, 2009, 10:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds like a preeeeetty arbitrary and artificial limit, considering that SSDs use exactly the same connectors and protocol as standard hard drives...  :huh:
-f0dder (November 20, 2009, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's an Apple-like limitation, to ensure it runs really snappy I imagine.

You can run ChromeOS from a usb stick now. Boss tried it this morning and had two total system freezes in 10 mins.

Ehtyar.

mahesh2k:
Internet only OS ? No way  :down:
Why they have no plan for offline people or software in mind ?

Ehtyar:
Internet only OS ? No way  :down:
Why they have no plan for offline people or software in mind ?
-mahesh2k (November 25, 2009, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's the whole idea of Chrome OS, to cater only for online Google stuff. If you want an offline OS you can chose literally any other OS :P

Don't get me wrong, I find it as screwy as you do, but that is the general thinking behind it.

Ehtyar.

zridling:
That's the whole idea of Chrome OS, to cater only for online Google stuff.... Don't get me wrong, I find it as screwy as you do, but that is the general thinking behind it. Ehtyar. -Ehtyar (November 25, 2009, 10:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not true. While the eventual machine will be setup to take advantage of Google's browser -- which is built to take advantage of Google software and ads (no surprise there) -- you can surf and use any online software you want. You can use Windows Live or Zoho or anything else that's online. Thus the line, "all apps are web apps," and "Chrome OS is just the platform for Chrome OS netbooks."

Being open source, you'll see forks or versions that allow for HDs, local apps, etc.  And probably sooner than expected.

Ehtyar:
Yes, poor wording. Chrome OS is Google *focused*, but not Google exclusive as my working implied. Sorry about that.

Found out from my boss that you log into the *OS* with your Google account. What's up with that?

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version