ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Chrome OS preview looks pretty cool

(1/9) > >>

zridling:
Google previewed its Linux-based ChromeOS Thursday and though it won't replace the big three desktop OSes, it will serve as a superfast thin client on netbooks and mobile devices. "Chrome OS is also fully open source, and will run on a wider variety of hardware than standard x86-based PCs."

Google is working with multiple partners on commercial devices, including Acer, Asus, Freescale, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo, Qualcomm, Texas Instruments, and Toshiba. Google has very specific ideas on how these machines will be designed. The OS does not support hard drives, just SSDs (solid state devices), on which files, and much content can be cached. With a boot time of 7 seconds to an open browser, this could be exciting for business travelers. Full release [might be] expected in late Summer or Fall 2010.
Cade Metz provides an excellent counterargument to Chrome OS.

JavaJones:
Hmm, from what I've heard it will only be available on specific devices (limited driver support), so the line about *broader* support seems odd. I'm also wondering, given the SSD requirement, how a nicely tuned Linux install on similar hardware would compare. I mean is this really that much faster?

Speed aside it's an interesting-ish idea. Maybe good for a subset of the market, depending on the rollout of some additional apps/services...

- Oshyan

zridling:
Exactly. This would only be targeted to a limited set of users, and for them not all of the time. This would make a great traveling, short trip, kitchen, waiting room(!) or TV-room device in my opinion. Being open source, it'd be great if other browsers tweaked the code to include their own versions.

mouser:
see also: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=20689

Perry Mowbray:
Exactly. This would only be targeted to a limited set of users, and for them not all of the time. This would make a great traveling, short trip, kitchen, waiting room(!) or TV-room device in my opinion. Being open source, it'd be great if other browsers tweaked the code to include their own versions.
-zridling (November 19, 2009, 11:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm pretty keen on one for my wife to use from the lounge  :-[

I also wondered if it'd be a nice (ie easier to use) companion on a holiday: especially if it worked with Google Navigation: I'm sort of thinking of a big in car phone/computer/gps

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version