ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Second Taskbar On Single Monitor

<< < (2/3) > >>

letmein:
I'm aware of that in Windows XP, and I'm not sure whether it works in Windows Vista, but I know that it doesn't in Windows 7. Unless changing a registry setting would allow it?

app103:
How about mouser's LaunchBar Commander? (That's what I used to replace the 2nd toolbar on my machine)

MilesAhead:
I'm aware of that in Windows XP, and I'm not sure whether it works in Windows Vista, but I know that it doesn't in Windows 7. Unless changing a registry setting would allow it?
-letmein (November 22, 2009, 12:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

You mileage may vary but I tried that approach with my folder of categorized shortcut folders.  Sometimes it took me 2 minutes clawing with the mouse to get it to sprout resizer arrows to resize the thing.

btw I did try Ubuntu but I didn't notice any dual taskbars.  Maybe I set it to use a window manager I was already familiar with.. I don't remember.  I do remember I took it off after a few days and the uninstall system really sucked. Non-intuitive partition undo utility forced me to fix up my partition table afterwards.  I didn't notice anything particularly ground breaking.

tomos:
How about mouser's LaunchBar Commander? (That's what I used to replace the 2nd toolbar on my machine)
-app103 (November 22, 2009, 02:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

+ some more user screenshots
Show us your LaunchBar Commander Screenshots

letmein:
-app103 (November 22, 2009, 02:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks, I didn't notice this program when looking through mouser's software previously. It looks like I could customize it the same as DesktopCoral and then do away with RocketDock (so one less application running). What's unfortunate is there doesn't seem a way to actually specify dimensions (like in DesktopCoral), it seems you have to manually resize it). Hmm I'll have to experiment with this.

I did try Ubuntu but I didn't notice any dual taskbars.-MilesAhead (November 22, 2009, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's hard to miss. Ubuntu's default layout has a taskbar on the top and another on the bottom of the screen: http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Ubuntu-9-10-Alpha-1-Released-2.jpg

I do remember I took it off after a few days and the uninstall system really sucked. Non-intuitive partition undo utility forced me to fix up my partition table afterwards.-MilesAhead (November 22, 2009, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Uninstall? You think Windows 'uninstall' is any better? Just ensure Windows is on the boot partition and mbr is correct, then delete the Ubuntu partions. If you're ever in doubt, google is your friend.

Also if you were just looking to try the OS, you should have used the live CD, or installed via Wubi: http://wubi-installer.org/

I didn't notice anything particularly ground breaking.-MilesAhead (November 22, 2009, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Having multiple taskbars is not groundbreaking (I didn't say that it was). It's a simple feature that has been around for such a long time it's surprising that it hasn't been implemented into Windows. Another feature that Windows is lacking is ability to extend your taskbar to multiple monitors (which also comes standard in Linux). I understand neither features are in high demand, so Microsoft has left it to third party application developers.

+ some more user screenshots
Show us your LaunchBar Commander Screenshots
-tomos (November 22, 2009, 03:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I actually just stumbled upon that thread. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version