topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Anyone actually use windows system restore if so,does it work.  (Read 33335 times)

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone actually use windows system restore if so,does it work.
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 10:29 AM »
now does that mean a system restore from 2 weeks ago remove all the changes you've made to a system since -
i.e. any programmes installed in those 2 weeks get "uninstalled" ?

Yes, that's exactly what it does.  I have used System Restore many times to roll back my primary workstation to a stable configuration and it has worked perfectly every time.  However, I have made it a point to disable System Restore on all drives except C: (where Windows is installed).

It even has an "Undo" feature to roll forward to the point from which you last restored, should things get worse instead of better.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 11:01 AM »
Yes it effectively uninstalls everything installed since the restore point BUT it doesn't remove the application files - so they will still appear in the START menu etc.

If you think you are going to need to use System Restore in this way it is probably worth manually fixing a named restore point before every installation - then at least you know what will need to be reinstalled by looking at the restore points before actually applying.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 06:21 PM »
They get "uninstalled", as for example, you lose the registry settings created and the drivers if they installed some. Basically, you have to reinstall them to avoid problems. It's a side effect, but the only alternative is a complete image of the disk.

EDIT: :wallbash: Look for a second page before posting :wallbash:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:23 PM by Lashiec »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows System Restore with a single click
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 10:32 AM »
IF you are among those lucky people who can actually benefit from using XP's system restore, then this little piece of freeware will be right for you:  Easy HR Windows XP System Restore Point Creator

Easy HR Windows XP System Restore Point Creator

Easily create windows restore points. Options for a quick create or you can add your own description. Create a Windsows XP System restore point with a single click.

* Tested on Windows XP SP2.

* Registration not required. This application is freeware. 

http://www.easyhr.co...y_system_restore.htm
- "Download Easy HR Computer Uptime" is a silly typo, the file is the proper "SetRestore.exe"
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 10:34 AM by Curt »

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 11:20 AM »
I am using System Snapshot for Windows XP. Features:

• Eliminates the need to have to navigate to the System Restore interface to create a restore point
  • Immediately creates a restore point for the System Restore utility
  • Can be configured to automatically load in the Windows system tray on Windows starts up
  • Offers a convenient system tray icon which can be used to create a restore point on the fly
  • Can be configured to automatically create a restore point on Windows or System Snapshot startup
  • Provides the ability to automatically create a restore point via Windows XP's Scheduled Tasks service or a 3rd party scheduler
  • Provides the option to add a description for the restore point
  • Includes options to disable access to the System Restore interface and System Restore settings
  • Takes up about 5k of memory

2008-06-08_002317.jpg

2008-06-08_002243.jpg
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 11:23 AM by PhilB66 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 01:11 PM »
Windows XP System Restore usually makes me wait 5-10 minutes while it reboots and performs the Restore only to tell me that it couldn't restore to the point and it failed.

I've only been able to get it to work perhaps 2-3 times total in all the years I've run XP. It's not very dependable.

LordDaMan

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 12:15 PM »
System restore worked wonders for me. I tried one of those total conversion packs to replace all the bitmaps inside various system files. The installer pretty much borked the entire system. i couldn't even boot normally without windows throwing up a ton of errors. I managed to get into safe mode ans ran system restore. It worked perfectly and made my system usable again

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 12:30 PM »
System Restore can save you, but in my view it should be something of a last resort, since it can leave your system in a state where anything installed after the save point is still on your drive, but not properly installed.

In other words, it rolls back SOME of the changes made to your system but not all, which is not a great place to be.  For emergencies it may be useful but avoid it if you possibly can.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 02:10 PM »
System Restore can save you, but in my view it should be something of a last resort, since it can leave your system in a state where anything installed after the save point is still on your drive, but not properly installed.

In other words, it rolls back SOME of the changes made to your system but not all, which is not a great place to be.  For emergencies it may be useful but avoid it if you possibly can.

This, sadly, has been my experience with System Restore. I have SR disabled, now, and rely on Super Flexible File Synch and Acronis True Image to keep me out of harm's way.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 02:46 PM »
rely on ... Acronis True Image to keep me out of harm's way.

I sort of rely on Acronis TI as well, but I've never actually restored an image - it sort of reminds me of the first time I opened a computer to replace a CD drive, I was, ahh ... scared out of my wits :D
The idea of restoring an image has the same effect on me - MG - what if nothing works after :tellme:

Like the sound of Rollback RX but the price ($69...+ 19% tax here :() seems a lot more than it's worth (to me at any rate)
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 03:10 PM »
Have no fear, Tom! Restoring my system from an Acronis Image has been completely devoid of drama in the more than three years that I've been using True Image.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 03:53 PM »
Have no fear, Tom! Restoring my system from an Acronis Image has been completely devoid of drama in the more than three years that I've been using True Image.
-Darwin
And how are you enjoying your C=64?

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 03:00 AM »

Ditto here! ;)

registercleaner

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 07:56 AM »
I think it is the best feature of Windows XP.

Clive

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 10:37 PM »
System Restore has worked for me but ,as with all things, you can't rely on it to get you out of all nasty situations. I use ERUNT as another form of system restore. (I'm a belt & braces sort of guy when it comes to 'puters). Most of you will have already heard of it, no doubt

nicklettin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2009, 11:03 PM »
In my experience System Restore is far from perfect. I have used it to get me out of scrapes but as other respondents have observed it doesn't undo everything you've done so bits of files are still left on the hard drive making removal or reinstallation problematic. And yes, the respondent who said that program links still exist in the Start menu is quite correct and it's a real pain in the ass to deal with. Use Ystem restore as a last resort indeed, because as far as XP is concerned that's really all it's good for in my honest opinion.

Clive, thank you for reminding me of Erunt, I must reinstall it. ;D

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 11:31 AM »
never worked for me when i really needed it too!  to be honest I have also used Acronis and maybe something else I forget, none of them were any good. I had to do a fresh instal

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2009, 12:36 PM »
Acronis has been brilliant for me. The only time I tried System Restore was under XP and it worked *OK* (think: So far, so good, but far from good!). I've not used System Restore under either Vista or Win7. Haven't used the built in system backup feature, either.