ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Program Idea Suggestion Thread

<< < (9/12) > >>

mouser:
Hi Vaibhav, welcome to the site.
I'm not sure a firefox plugin is the easiest way to get started, but we do have a section of tips on it here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?board=252.0

app103:
Firefox Plugin Idea:
A plugin which shows a panel below the main window which shows all <!-- --> html comments on the current page.

I think it would yield some very interesting discoveries.

A nice bonus feature would scan for curse words in these comments and show a count in red, to aid in finding fun discoveries.
-mouser (November 28, 2009, 06:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am dying to do some coding but I would need some pointers on making this app since I've never done anything of this sort. Kindly tell me what I need to know for making this and how should I go about it.

Regards
Vaibhav
-vaib (December 11, 2009, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Firefox_addons_developer_guide

Marcel25:
I am a person that spends a lot of time planning, since I have quite a lot of activities and ideas. Being a coder, I wrote a program for myself called "Much2Do". I found out that a lot of people are looking for a nice ToDo program but were not able to find one that fullfills their needs. For that reason, I decided to publish that ToDo program, on the website http://www.much2do.nl. This is a ToDo program that enables you to keep track of todo's and ideas in a multi-level list, planning both work and private life.

In the past year lots of people have downloaded my program. Although it was not a success, I have learned quite a lot from my efforts. I have learned that although a lot of people want to have a good ToDo application, and although a good list can save you a lot of time (= money) people are not willing to spend any money on it. Because I can make money from creating other software, so I decided to make this Much2Do program freeware. I haven't gotten around to stipping the registration part from the current version and writing a user manual.

After a busy year I have promised to take one or two weeks off in the second half of december 2009, but knowing myself I will not be able to stop coding entirely. So when reading about the NANY 2010 I figured: this might be a good chance to make a totally new version of Much2Do. I am posting this message to ask all of you whether you would like to have a new ToDo program, simular to the old Much2Do program, and what changes you would like to see to the current program. If I get positive feedback, I will create a new version.

At the website http://www.much2do.nl you can see a few screenshots. There are two programs: one for PocketPC and one for PC, both offline Windows applications. I use both and they synchronise well. The main thing that sets it apart from other ToDo applications is that it uses a treeview to present items. If you have a lot of items in your list, this seems the best way to include all items and still retain a good overview. The desktop application also has a listview in which you can plan nodes from any of the treeviews, to specific days.

I am particularly interested in feedback concerning these questions:
- Most ToDo programs have checkboxes, do you really need them in a ToDolist?
  (I feel that if the item is done it should be removed, so why a checkbox)
- How could the planning part of my desktop application be improved?
- Would you like to have the day planning available in the mobile app as well?
- I plan 100% digital but I stil prefer to print the items for Today on paper,
  but being green means you should not print anything. Any suggestions?

PS I am aware that updates of existing programs are not allowed in NANY 2010, but entering the NANY is not my aim. My aim WAS to provide a lowpriced ToDo tool and see what happened. My aim IS NOW to re-cycle my efforts and create a FREE ToDo application and see how many people would like to use it, if it is freeware. My guess is that it may very well turn out to be a newly written program (which could be allowed to the NANY) but I will leave that decision to DonationCoder. But at the very least, the program could become a freeware program.

Marcel25:
In case the domain URL does not work, this is the underlying URL:
http://www.building.nl/much2do/index.html

Perry Mowbray:
Welcome to the NANY Event Marcel!

You'll find a lot of comment here about note takers and todo lists (take a look around), but to answer your questions...

PS I am aware that updates of existing programs are not allowed in NANY 2010, but entering the NANY is not my aim. My aim WAS to provide a lowpriced ToDo tool and see what happened. My aim IS NOW to re-cycle my efforts and create a FREE ToDo application and see how many people would like to use it, if it is freeware. My guess is that it may very well turn out to be a newly written program (which could be allowed to the NANY) but I will leave that decision to DonationCoder. But at the very least, the program could become a freeware program.
-Marcel25 (December 15, 2009, 06:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're right that updates don't qualify, but rewrites do. How much recycling is involved in a rewrite, I think, is not able to be specified. It's probably got more to do with your intention. Certainly when you submit a NANY and our users get hold of it you'll get lots of ideas and requests for the development of your app.

It would be an ambitious undertaking to rewrite your app in a couple of weeks though?  :-\  Personally, I'd be more than happy to have a pledge of the rewrite of Much2Do   :Thmbsup:

Everyone will have their own ideas, which may be better canvassed in a specific thread, but here are mine:
I am particularly interested in feedback concerning these questions:
- Most ToDo programs have checkboxes, do you really need them in a ToDolist?
  (I feel that if the item is done it should be removed, so why a checkbox)-Marcel25 (December 15, 2009, 06:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

If it's two separate events, sure: it's not efficient; but if a checkbox set's the done date as today, and the done date (maybe not today) set's the check box, they're not entirely separate (The checkbox providing a good visual clue and shortcut).

- How could the planning part of my desktop application be improved?
--- End quote ---

Not played with it, but again, probably a question for a separate thread

- Would you like to have the day planning available in the mobile app as well?
--- End quote ---

I don't have a mobile to run the app on...

- I plan 100% digital but I stil prefer to print the items for Today on paper,
  but being green means you should not print anything. Any suggestions?
--- End quote ---

Some sort of export that can be viewed in various (independent) ways? Desktop, web, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version