ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Program Idea Suggestion Thread

<< < (7/12) > >>

mouser:
Ok here's a pretty serious idea for a program, and one that is definitely a lot of work -- but i think it would be useful:
A hand-holding simple XML editor that is restricted to creating xml documents that are compliant with a specified dtd or schema file.

There are quite a few very elaborate xml editors, some are really complex.  And there are some reasonable free ones too.

But I was thinking there is a need for a really dumbed down simple handholding one, which was designed to guide and help the user create and edit xml files that comply with a specific dtd/schema definition.

The idea is that such a cool could be used as a gui configuration tool for specific applications and web services that provide dtd/schema files -- helping the user to create just the objects and properties supported by such files.  The goal would be to hold the user's hand and make it easy for them to create compliant files.

Just as an example, in a recent project I did (http://www.tfdocs.com), i use an xml format to describe documents -- but it's really hard for people to follow the rules to make these xml documents.  So I made a dtd file that basically defines the rules and hierarchy and properties that make up a value tree form xml document.

Now i could make a custom tool to allow gui creation of these documents, but if there was a super simple xml editor that could take this dtd file and then walk the user through creating a compliant xml file that would be ideal.  I can even imagine having an accessory file (or comments in the dtd file) that would provide more information to the xml editor to help guide the user.

mouser:
Here's another idea: Image Aligner

I sometimes have a few screenshot images or cropped screenshot images, and i want to combine them into one, usually by aligning them in a vertical row, or horizontal row -- sometimes by aligning into a grid.  And then saving new combined image.

It would be nice to have a gui application that let user drag and drop images and arrange them in this way -- actually the issue of what kind of user interface would be needed is a very tricky one -- but potentially a really useful one.

I guess ideally one would like to be able to specify what to do about size differences -- do we shrink, enlarge, perserve aspect ratios, etc?  What about background color if blank spaces, etc.

Lots of details that could make the program more fancy, but i think you get the main idea.

zenzai:
  The one thing I would most like to have is a way to log-in to sites without doing it manually.

-GrowMap (November 25, 2009, 04:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried Roboform?

http://www.roboform.com/

zenzai:
Here's another idea: Image Aligner

I sometimes have a few screenshot images or cropped screenshot images, and i want to combine them into one, usually by aligning them in a vertical row, or horizontal row -- sometimes by aligning into a grid.  And then saving new combined image.
-mouser (December 09, 2009, 07:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since you're talking about screenshots: SnagIt 9 can do that. You can also drag pictures directly from Explorer into the editor and combine them with screenshots.

olamoree:
Hi Guys,  I am sure I suggested this before, but here goes... I would like to see a tab added to files' PROPERTIES that would allow for the insertion of TEXT to explain and take notes about a particular file WITHOUT having to add a .txt file along with an .exe or such, just keeping it all together in one Tab.  There was a neato proggy many years ago called Anotater that did that but its wheel ran off after WinME.  In Vista, for instance, the Tabs under Properties has General, Details (and anything else you may have added) and NEEDS another tab like Notes or Comments or whatever.  When the above WAS working, it was gr8 for DL date, Install date, the URL of where it was found, ongoing comments about the proggy or file, etc. ..... I REALLY miss that baby!  Any takers?  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version