ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Program Idea Suggestion Thread

(1/12) > >>

mouser:
I know we have lots of coders (of all different skill levels) participating in NANY this year.
Some will no doubt have their own ideas they intend to code.
But I know that others are very interested in hearing ideas for programs they might write as their application.

So I thought we could start a thread where people could suggest ideas, and where coders can request help thinking of ideas in a specific category, etc.

Note that the Coding Snacks Request Section of the forum is a great place to find program ideas -- hopefully this thread and that section won't step on each other's toes.

So, NANY coders if you want help thinking of an idea -- post what you might be interested in.
And requesters who have a good idea for a program -- post your ideas (or link to them if you've posted already in the Coding Snacks area).

And maybe we might even consider inviting people who would want to offer a reward or bounty for implementing a specific program to post here? Just keep in mind NANY is only for software that will be released as free/donationware to the public, so there is no point posting a request for a private program.  And one would want to make sure multiple coders weren't working on the same project at the same time, etc.  Let's remember that NANY isn't a competition -- there are no winners -- it's just a celebration of creating new software.

GrowMap:
I always have lots of ideas and have shared a few here. Mine may be too complex sometimes; however, I would be glad to make suggestions directly if anyone is interested. You can also read what I have posted in the past.  The one thing I would most like to have is a way to log-in to sites without doing it manually.

I know this is possible because I saw it happen on the PC of a brilliant Engineer I once knew. Even better would be a way to automatically log in to all accounts associated with a particular persona. That would save so much time! I can explain more thoroughly if anyone is interested.

What we really need is for FireFox to allow us to have totally separate FireFox windows so we could be logged into a different set of Yahoo, Google, Twitter or other accounts in each window. The reason we need this is that some of us log into client accounts at Google or Yahoo and when we do we lose our log-in status at sites like Delicious, Flickr and MyBlogLog and what we have automated stops running and our Avatars don't show up for the activity that is related to our primary persona.

For example, my primary identity online is GrowMap and I want that to stay logged in; however, I log into Google AdWords and Analytics accounts and Yahoo Stores for clients and then Google and Yahoo think I am still them even after I log out and until I manually log back in as GrowMap. I have many other online personas like ExecGifts and NoBogies and each of them needs to be logged in separately, ideally from one PC. I hope this is clear. 

I know someone is going to suggest using different browsers. That is not a great solution because many addons that we use regularly only work in FireFox. I have been using Epiphany but Ubuntu recently dropped support for it. I have also tried using Opera. Both of those browsers have behaviors that are truly annoying like refusing to open new tabs instead of new windows. What we really need is many separate FireFox windows with as many tabs open in each as we need.

With or without separate windows, we still need a faster way to get logged in as a particular persona across multiple sites. Perhaps there could be an app that we could configure with the sites for each persona that checks status or logs the current accounts out and then logs the selected persona in. Although it would be great to be able to work in different personas simultaneously, switching between them quickly would be the next best solution.

I have requested that http://www.backlinkreporter.com/ create a version for tracking dofollow blog comments that would be just like their current tool but rename some of the comments for that purpose. If they're not interested would that be the kind of thing someone here might do?

Paul Keith:
What we really need is for FireFox to allow us to have totally separate FireFox windows so we could be logged into a different set of Yahoo, Google, Twitter or other accounts in each window. The reason we need this is that some of us log into client accounts at Google or Yahoo and when we do we lose our log-in status at sites like Delicious, Flickr and MyBlogLog and what we have automated stops running and our Avatars don't show up for the activity that is related to our primary persona.
--- End quote ---

Cookie Swap

With or without separate windows, we still need a faster way to get logged in as a particular persona across multiple sites. Perhaps there could be an app that we could configure with the sites for each persona that checks status or logs the current accounts out and then logs the selected persona in. Although it would be great to be able to work in different personas simultaneously, switching between them quickly would be the next best solution.
--- End quote ---

Last Pass

Request:

1. Improved Ren'Py-specific WYSIWYM code editor.

2. Experimental Reverse To-Do list (added entries are checked, un-checking = rename entries then re-insert priority + position; preferably multi-level and possessing Tree-List's features)

3. Procrastinator Checker (don't really know what it's called but you know that jail cell wall numbering system where the first 4 numbers are "I" signs and the 5th number is a \ over those 4 signs? Something like that except when you mark the 5th number, the entry gets deleted. Set up how many numbers passed before deleting the entry. Optional: typing p1 right after the entry = automatic 20-50 numbers before deletion. typing p2 = 15, p3 = 10, p4 = 5. Similar to RTFM new syntax way of adding entries)

kwacky1:
-GrowMap (November 25, 2009, 04:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wouldn't Private Browsing Mode also acheive this?

--- End quote ---

Cookie Swap

--- End quote ---

Last Pass

Request:

1. Improved Ren'Py-specific WYSIWYM code editor.

2. Experimental Reverse To-Do list (added entries are checked, un-checking = rename entries then re-insert priority + position; preferably multi-level and possessing Tree-List's features)

3. Procrastinator Checker (don't really know what it's called but you know that jail cell wall numbering system where the first 4 numbers are "I" signs and the 5th number is a \ over those 4 signs? Something like that except when you mark the 5th number, the entry gets deleted. Set up how many numbers passed before deleting the entry. Optional: typing p1 right after the entry = automatic 20-50 numbers before deletion. typing p2 = 15, p3 = 10, p4 = 5. Similar to RTFM new syntax way of adding entries)
-Paul Keith (November 25, 2009, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again, I don't understand a single word that you say Paul, I'm sure you're speaking a foreign language or maybe you have a random word generator built into your keyboard.

app103:
I sent the info to GrowMap elewhere, but for the benefit of any here that might want to do the same thing, it is possible with using multiple profiles:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/internet/firefox/use-multiple-firefox-profiles-at-the-same-time/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version