ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

chrome getting extensions makes even more evident why Opera doesn't get it

<< < (2/8) > >>

JavaJones:
FF does slow down with more extensions. We'll see how Chrome fares in that regard. But Chrome starts out a lot faster than FF anyway, so it's got more headroom. :D There has been some contention that Opera avoids extensions for performance reasons in the past, but I'd wager Chrome will disprove that idea in short order...

- Oshyan

Josh:
Once the roboform extension is successfully implimented I will be moving to chrome. Firefox is nice but chrome is just far more responsive, quicker to startup, and feels more fluid. I do wish it had more options available to configure but I really don't require that. It operates well out of the box and only a few things need to get added to it for me to be happy:

* Foxclocks substitute (world time zones)
* Roboform
* Tab clicking options
Overall, chrome feels great. I just wish opera would stop trying to tell the users what they should use and let them decide for themselves. I've heard rumors that Apple is going to open up safari in a similar manner which would leave, for all intents and purposes, Opera alone in the realm of major browsers which do not support extensibility. UserJS is nice but it is limited. Oh well.

zridling:
...I will be moving to chrome. Firefox is nice but chrome is just far more responsive, quicker to startup, and feels more fluid. Overall, chrome feels great. -Josh (November 18, 2009, 08:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Based on the nightly Linux builds of Chrome, I'll likely move that direction, too. I do the Google Docs, Calendar, email, and Chrome/Linux also does twitter well, too. Simplify my computing and you simplify my life.

Josh:
...I will be moving to chrome. Firefox is nice but chrome is just far more responsive, quicker to startup, and feels more fluid. Overall, chrome feels great. -Josh (November 18, 2009, 08:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Based on the nightly Linux builds of Chrome, I'll likely move that direction, too. I do the Google Docs, Calendar, email, and Chrome/Linux also does twitter well, too. Simplify my computing and you simplify my life.
-zridling (November 19, 2009, 04:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Remember this day, Zaine and I agree on something! ;-)

MrCrispy:
How the hell does Opera still make money? (I'm genuinely curious since they are giving away their browser and don't have the bazillion dollars the Mozilla foundation gets from using google as the default search).

For me, its only Firefox. The slight speed hit compared to Chrome is nothing compared to the extra features and time saved from all the extensions. Its not just a browser anymore, it needs to be productive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version