ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

chrome getting extensions makes even more evident why Opera doesn't get it

(1/8) > >>

urlwolf:
even adblock seems to be functioning (I don't use chrome much) at least on linux:

http://www.chromeextensions.org/appearance-functioning/adblock/

chrome getting extensions makes even more evident why Opera doesn't get it. Pretty much every other browser does support them. I don't use Opera anymore, but I'm just amazed that management could be this clueless. The audiences are screaming 'extensions!' and they don't hear it... no wonder their market quota is diminishing. A pity, because they are trully innovative in other aspects.

zridling:
I second that emotion. I have long loved Opera on Linux and Win, but I see it falling behind since their kickass version 9, and it's all because of extensions. It's what people want. Extensions are like building sidewalks where people have trod paths, rather than building them where no one walks.

Lashiec:
Ah, yes, the quintessential Chrome extension, written by an Opera user, ported from the original Opera version, and available for Firefox using Greasemonkey ;D

What everyone (including Google) calls extensions is nothing more (for what I read about them a while ago) than mere souped up user scripts, more tightly integrated with the browser, and easier to use/manage, as well as more powerful, but nowhere near what you can achieve with the Firefox extension system thanks to XUL, at least right now.

IMO Opera could achieve something similar improving the already existing UserJS, it has been petitioned more times than I can remember, and Opera has nothing against it, with the CEO always leaving a door open for further improvements in that area (official UserJS repository) along with a possible "extension" system. Dunno why still Opera doesn't have anything like that, either it's due to a lack of resources that are assigned to other areas (IIRC the core Desktop Team isn't as big as you might think), or simply a byproduct of Opera's lack of certain features (like HTML5 localStorage) as Opera is so damn stubborn in refusing to add certain features until they can be done using HTML standards.

JavaJones:
I agree, I don't care how it's being done, this is "extension" functionality of some sort, and it's a lot easier to use than Opera's. A consistent refrain of the knowledgeable Opera user is "yeah it can do that, you just need to tweak this thing and that thing", which is great, but it's not going to increase their userbase.

Opera definitely works against themselves seemingly more often than not, and I agree it's a shame because they have a really nice product. When I first discovered Opera (shortly after it became free) I fell in love and stuck with it for over a year as a devoted fan. But as FF matured and gained extensions that slowly brought it on par with Opera's functionality and nice little touches (Past and Go anyone?), and with Opera going through a rougher patch around this time (the early 9.x versions were not great IMO), I made the switch back.

Nowadays I use a pretty even mix of different browsers, and it even varies by my environment, e.g. at work I use FF the majority of the time, with Chrome a reasonable second (maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the time spent in FF), and IE a distant 3rd, with Opera bringing up the rear in a very seldom-used capacity. That doesn't sound very even, but contrast it to my home use where recently Opera has been at least 30% of my browsing, with Chrome and IE each taking a reasonably even 30% as well, and the remainder made up with occasional FF use. Why the disparity? I actually use browsers a bit oddly sometimes, as a sort of task info management system specific to web content. So I'll leave 10 or 20 tabs up in a browser for a project I want to get back to. I use alternative browsers to make up for that in the meantime. So it can mean my browsing habits shift from time to time, as a project is dealt with and its tabs retired for example.

So with that in mind, I will say that my recent heavier Opera use is mainly because it's just another browser option, not because I specifically appreciate it above say FF or Chome. In fact Opera used to be my choice for light, clean, and fast browsing, but generally Chrome fills that role now, with FF as the heavy workhorse for when I need to do more, need extensions, etc. Opera just doesn't have a lot to distinguish itself now, and Unite is not going to do it I don't think. There are a lot of things they *could* do to recover their position I think, but they seem too stubborn to do so. Still, I'll probably keep using it as an alternative as long as it's available...

- Oshyan

zridling:
Add to the fact that users are looking for browsers to provide speed on top of features they can only get by building the extensions themselves. Compared to Opera, basic Firefox doesn't impress me. However, add any number of killer extensions to Firefox and suddenly it's an exciting app.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version