ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Quick AVI Creator

<< < (4/4)

MilesAhead:
I tried this using x264 one pass mode.  Seems with xvid on a dual core system it uses one thread just to read the input.  The 2 cores aren't maxed out.  With x264 it maxed out both the cores.  I took a 90 minute .mkv about 15 GB in size and shrunk it to less than 4 GB in about 10 hours and change on the dual core.

Looks like if I want to do this as a regular job I have to run it overnight on the dual core.  The quad will finish faster but I'll have to listen to fan noise for 6 hours or more.  SpeedFan beta won't even run and the latest SpeedFan stable won't detect any fans in this PC.  Seems no way to adjust it without installing some 3rd party fans.  Not something I want to get involved in with the jumble of junk inside this box.  It's like working on a car after they stuck all those vacuum controls and hoses all over the place compared to pre-pollution setups.  The equivalent would be your own custom box with stuff set up according to some logic other than shaving a 1/10th of a cent per unit off the cost.

The good news is, once you get to the video stage and put in your settings, it seems to run to completion.  The bad news is, you don't get any feedback on progress or time to completion estimate.

Maybe I'll give BD Rebuilder a try.  I heard the latest beta lets you output either an .mkv or .mp4 file instead of an AVCHD disc structure.

MilesAhead:
Thanks a lot for the info and links. :) There's a heckuva lot to learn, and I'm just getting started in this area.

I really like DVD Rebuilder so I'll definitely keep watch on BD Rebuilder's development.

btw there's also a Doom10 now. Let me know if Doom11 rolls out next week. ;)
-sajman99 (May 22, 2010, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm messing around with BD Rebuilder now.  Seems like the .mkv output isn't perfected. I thought I told it to make an .mkv that would fit on a DVD5 but it was about 2/3 the size of the input.  I'm trying again with BD5 selected.  At the lowest quality setting it seems like it will process in about the play time of the source.  If the results are good then I could live with listening to the fans for 2 hours.  6 hours I start to go bonkers.

Nice and simple interface, if I can get it to do what I want that is.

MilesAhead:
Reducing the size of BluRay for my WD set top box the fastest way with good results seems to be BD Rebuilder.  However if you need to burn a subtitle into the video, Quick AVI Creator looks like the one to use.

A similar .avs editor facility is apparently on the to do list for BD Rebuilder. If you don't have to mess with subs and want good quality output in fast one pass mode, this app cranks.  I tried the same film in both QAC and BDRB. The QAC produced slightly better quality in one pass mode taking about 4 hours to process the film.  BDRB took about 2 hours.  I increased the custom output size and now the BDRB output quality is quite good.

If you have a wall size HDTV then you may want to use 2 pass with the high quality settings.  But for play on CRT type HDTV like I have, the one pass mode looks very good.  Probably because I don't have to size down the resolution, the conversion is faster than using say HC Enc 2 pass .m2v conversion.  The quality is comparable in about 1/2 the time using x264 one pass encoding.

edit: btw if you have a hard time getting BDRB to encode video go to the support thread on Doom9.  There the author has links to the particular media splitters and other files needed, known to work with it. I got an error it didn't like my version of FFDShow and some other complaints. I went to the thread, downloaded and installed, reran the conversion.  It saw it had already demuxed files and asked if I wanted to pick up where it left off!!  Very friendly. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version