ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tech News Weekly: Edition 46-09

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ehtyar:
Hahaha, Rafe Needleman from CNET is calling it that. He mentioned it a few episodes ago on BOL, but I think that may have been just because he thought it sounded better.

Still, I don't quite see how this will help Google harvest our infoz (except for the sheeple that will adopt Chrome just to use it). Provided the other browsers catch on early enough (how long will it before someone decides the SSL requirement isn't necessary?), this should be a good thing IMHO.

Ehtyar.

f0dder:
#7 - Nice to see Microsoft has developed their very own backdoor exploit for Windows.

I know I'll sleep better at night knowing such a thing exists. Especially since it will only be made available to duly authorized members of the law enforcement community - whom experience has shown we can completely trust to never abuse such technologies.-40hz (November 15, 2009, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
From what I heard from people who took a look at this, it's mostly a collection of SysInternals tools and a frontend - big f'ing deal. Haven't bothered to look at it myself though (considering that I don't exactly have legitimate access to it), so it could be worse.

#5 is nice - thumbs up to anything giving twitter a bad name :P

Ehtyar:
#7 - Nice to see Microsoft has developed their very own backdoor exploit for Windows.

I know I'll sleep better at night knowing such a thing exists. Especially since it will only be made available to duly authorized members of the law enforcement community - whom experience has shown we can completely trust to never abuse such technologies.-40hz (November 15, 2009, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
From what I heard from people who took a look at this, it's mostly a collection of SysInternals tools and a frontend - big f'ing deal. Haven't bothered to look at it myself though (considering that I don't exactly have legitimate access to it), so it could be worse.
-f0dder (November 16, 2009, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sorry Hertz Man, I must have missed your post. F0d Man is indeed correct, it is basically a collection of freely available tools with a front-end so that some cop who can barely operate a computer can collect "forensic" evidence in the field and cart it back to someone who knows what the f they're doing. Really very disappointing :(

#5 is nice - thumbs up to anything giving twitter a bad name :P
-f0dder (November 16, 2009, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't know that I'd go that far, but definitely a thumbs-up to anything that highlights Twitter's security holes.

Ehtyar.

40hz:
F0d Man is indeed correct, it is basically a collection of freely available tools with a front-end so that some cop who can barely operate a computer can collect "forensic" evidence in the field and cart it back to someone who knows what the f they're doing. Really very disappointing
-Ehtyar (November 16, 2009, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Regardless of the level of sophistication present in the technology, it still speaks volumes about the mindset and motivations of the company behind it - and the overall attitude of society in general.

Tools, by their very existence, beg to be used. And the lack of knowledge on the part of the tool user poses its own set of problems. Hand a baby a hammer and everything "starts to look like a nail" as the saying goes.

Frankly, I'm amazed that the same people who get so vocal about DRM (and RIAA enforcement actions) have so few problems with something like this. Then again, maybe I shouldn't be.

I will agree on one point however, even if I do so for entirely different reasons: It really is very disappointing. :-\

Ehtyar:
Although I can understand what you're saying Hertz Man, I can't agree. Whether some total drongo cop has access to the information this tool can present, or only the NSA does, the simple fact is that this information can be gotten.

The fact that the information exists, and can be gotten is what bothers me, not how or by whom it can be retried.

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version