topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Request for MultiInstanceCircleDock  (Read 4486 times)

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Request for MultiInstanceCircleDock
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:56 AM »
Wow, great Mark, eclipse is really beautiful.
A little problem, when I move mouse pointer on an icon the label appear but if the icon have a transparent area, also in center, the label disappear and the click fault, the same problem I wrote about start menu. It's not a real problem so if it's difficult to fix don't worry.

Request for multiple instance: Instead running CircleDock.exe can you run a window setting for multiple instance (es. MultiCircleDock.exe)? When starts the first time appear a window settings like my screenshot where create add administrate new instances. To show new windows you can add an option in CD normal setting.
Windows autorun start MultiCircleDock hidden and then it starts all the instances. In CD you can change only a thing adding an option arg (CircleDock.exe /nameInstance) where nameInstance are the user titles and subfolder with settings. Or you can add a MultiCircleDock.exe an arg to start hidden for autorun but when you click in start menu it's show the window
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:52 AM by Rigel »

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
Request for MultiInstanceCircleDock
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 10:49 AM »
A little problem, when I move mouse pointer on an icon the label appear but if the icon have a transparent area, also in center, the label disappear and the click fault, the same problem I wrote about start menu. It's not a real problem so if it's difficult to fix don't worry.
Some icons contain a transparent area such as the highlighted icon in this screen shot:

Cd6.pngRequest for MultiInstanceCircleDock The blue arrow points to a transparent area within the icon.

When the mouse cursor is placed on an icon, Windows sends a message to the icon which basically says "Icon.Enter" and if you then move the mouse over the icon and onto the background, Windows sends an "Icon.Leave" message. That's fine for most icons but some - like the one I've highlighted above - contain a transparent area within them. If the mouse cursor is placed on that transparent area, Windows gets confused and sends a rapid-fire succession of "Icon.Leave" and "Icon.Enter" messages and this results in flashing of the label as well as other undesirable visual effects. That's because, having sent the "Icon.Leave" message, Windows notices that the mouse cursor is still within the icon's bounding rectangle and so fires an "Icon.Enter" message and then it notices that the mouse cursor is, in fact, on a completely transparent area and so sends an "Icon.Leave" message. This is a "design feature" of Windows and there's nothing I can do about that.

It is possible, using a decent graphics editor, to modify the icon such that the internal transparent area is very slightly opaque - eg 1/255th opaque and that will be enough to overcome this problem.

Request for multiple instance: Instead running CircleDock.exe can you run a window setting for multiple instance (es. MultiCircleDock.exe)? When starts the first time appear a window settings like my screenshot where create add administrate new instances. To show new windows you can add an option in CD normal setting.
Windows autorun start MultiCircleDock hidden and then it starts all the instances. In CD you can change only a thing adding an option arg (CircleDock.exe /nameInstance) where nameInstance are the user titles and subfolder with settings. Or you can add a MultiCircleDock.exe an arg to start hidden for autorun but when you click in start menu it's show the window

Hmmm... judging from the messages on this Board, the demand for multiple instances is somewhat weak. You appear to be asking for a separate program which will remotely start and stop Circle Dock instances and whilst this is certainly possible, it falls outside what I'm prepared to add to a freeware program, given the lack of interest or demand. I have already done a considerable amount of work on multiple instances and would prefer to concentrate on adding features with more popular appeal - eg docklets.

If you, or anyone else, wishes to write such a control program, I will supply the necessary API call to enable you to remotely close instances.

Mark

Rigel

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Request for MultiInstanceCircleDock
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 12:05 PM »
Ok, I understand, I try to make an external application so, can you only add arg to CircleDock.exe to point on other folder setting?
If it's take too time I'll find another way.
Thanks
Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.