ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Has anyone discovered any cool Windows 7 third-party utilities?

(1/10) > >>

superboyac:
Has anyone found some interesting third-party utilities for Windows 7?  I really mean for Windows 7, not for Windows in general.

For example, I'd be interested in something that managed all the settings differently, in a more poweruser kind of way.  As many of you know, the settings in Windows 7 are layered in many menus and submenus.  I'd love to see it in something presented in a more efficient interface.

MilesAhead:
The main one I like so far is 7stacks

It will work on Vista and XP but it's targeted at 7. On Vista I use a double height Taskbar with the captions for running programs turned off.  With Taskbar locked that leaves me with a lot of open space.  I also use RocketDock.  But on 7 you don't get the separation between QuickLaunch and Taskbar.  The running app just glows the icon.  I'm not all that thrilled when these giant previews pop up since they obscure RocketDock.

With 7stacks I can create some stacks on the Taskbar of stuff I use most.  Internet stuff, editors, file handling programs, hotkey utilities, etc. to increase the free space in the middle of the taskbar.  On some items it means an extra click but the glass looks cool when it pops up.

Right low it's limited to a total of 10 stacks, but it's free.  I've been using it for a few weeks and I don't see any inherent bugs.  The only proviso would be since you make stacks from a folder of shortcuts, you have to be cautious of creating and endless loop if you put a shortcut inside a folder and it goes to a folder with a shortcut to itself or something.  I tried to use some folders from RocketDock but I think the nesting did me in since when I pressed FARR hotkey I got four explorer folders opening instead.  I put it back the way it was and all was fine.

One comment though, it wants to create a shortcut on your desktop when it makes the stack.  If you are like me and don't want to run with desktop icons anymore, you may want to have a folder of app shortcuts where you can hide stuff away.  Just create the stack, then drag & drop the desktop shortcut to someplace out of sight  To add new items to an existing stack, you just drag a new shortcut into the folder that's the source of that stack.  For example if you created a stack from a folder of Internet program shortcuts and you installed yet another browser, just move the icon to that Internet folder.  It will show up in the stack right away.

40hz:
I don't know how cool this is, but it's a nice little  "training wheels" type utility. It gives you easy access to a variety of settings that you'd otherwise have to burrow through the various control panels to get to. It's also portable app so it's easy to delete if you decide you don't want it:

Access Panel for Windows 7 & Vista, x86 and x64

Link: www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-access-panel-for-windows-7-vista

We are pleased to release Access Panel for Windows 7 & Vista, x86 and x64. While you can use Control Panel to change settings which control nearly everything about how Windows looks and works, in some cases to access these very controls ,  or the in-built Windows programs, requires you to engage in multiple clicks or know their names.

Windows Access Panel v 1.0 is meant to minimize your trouble in accessing such programs. It has been tested on  Windows 7 & Windows Vista. It can simply be downloaded and used as a portable application. Place it in your Programs Files and Pin its shortcut to your Start menu and you are all set to a faster way of accessing  the “hidden” Windows system utilities.
--- End quote ---

Has anyone discovered any cool Windows 7 third-party utilities?

SKA:
At the website in 40hz's link above there are 3 other utils that stand out:

Ultimate Windows Tweaker (v2):
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista

Fix WU 1.0:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-updates-with-fix-wu-utility

Fix IE (for Win 7/Vista);
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-internet-explorer-with-fix-ie-utility

SKA

lanux128:
there is the Gmail Notifier for Windows 7 which runs as a task bar application and makes use of the new jump list.

• http://windows7center.com/news/windows-7-gmail-notifier-plus/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version