ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hidden Netflix Marathon Gems to Watch Online

<< < (10/16) > >>

allen:
Lost is a (previously mentioned) favorite. The new Battlestar Galactica was great, except the [worst ever] ending. Have to agree with Mouser, Breaking Bad is an excellent series.

Other great SciFi: Stargate SG-1, Stargate Universe. Sadly, the BEST Stargate and the shortest lived is Stargate Atlantis. I watch it on Amazon Prime but apparently it's not on Netflix.

My absolute favorite background marathons, though, are MacGyver, Sliders and Fraiser -- each of which I've watched start to finish no fewer than 3 times. If I could find it all in once place, Sopranos would be up there too.

MilesAhead:
One of the Japanese series I really enjoyed was Trick

They did a season 2 and 3 but by the third year the jokes to do with the foibles of the lead characters were drilled out.

Nakama Yukie plays a magician hired by a Professor played by Abe Hiroshi to debunk those who claim to have occult or mystical powers.  It's a tongue in cheek fun series.

MilesAhead:
Shu Qi stars in a fine action series, Romance of Red Dust

I watched it on DVD available on Netflix

The video quality on DVD is pretty good considering it's 4x3 TV. Very good action series. Shu Qi looks good and kicks ass. :)

40hz:

I will have one point of criticism for this new modernized version of Holmes: they are both missing something.  i don't know what it is, but there's a quality to the books that doesn't seem to translate well to our hip societies.  -superboyac (August 05, 2012, 10:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think what they're missing is the bluster and naive arrogance of the Victorian era, when men were men, women were women, and English virtues were the only virtues worth owning. It had an aura of innocence and certainty that you can't recreate in a modern setting. Nor can you duplicate the romance that the imagery of a fog shrouded horse drawn London provided. Setting and the era  are at the heart of Sherlock Holmes appeal. Much like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells needed a less technologically sophisticated world in which to create their wonders and make them believable within that context. Steampunk is trying to get some of that back, but it's still only a pastiche no matter how skillfully it's done.

Anyway, a friend of mine recommended I watch the British Holmes version from the 80s, which is supposed to be very good and authentic (Jeremy Brett is Sherlock). Here's the amazon link.

--- End quote ---

If you are at all a Sherlock Holmes fan you must watch the Granada Television produced Sherlock Holmes series.

Watch all of them. Jeremy Brett is Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. His interpretation and performance is totally authentic. And with the exception of a misguided attempt to add in a few stories not written by Doyle, all episodes are uniformly excellent. Best of all, each episode is remarkably faithful to the original Canon. A must see!

:Thmbsup:

I'll also suggest the Inspector Morse and the quasi-sequel Inspector Lewis series. Best thing to come out of BBC/PBS Mystery since Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes performance. Convoluted mysteries set in and around the lovely scenery of Oxford University. Well worth getting into. Both series are available on Netflix. :Thmbsup:

Shades:
Vouching for Inspector Lewis as well. Dutch public TV would show Inspector Morse in its day. Still think those are well worth watching.

If you want to take a look at the 80´s again, you could also watch Tatort (with the character: Schimanski). German Krimi that sometimes could match Morse. At least you will see some mullets...
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version