ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How would you improve a standard PC keyboard?

<< < (10/12) > >>

OldElmerFudd:

Well, you could save up your pennies and get the Optimus Maximus.  Has it seen the light of day yet?  Apparently shipping....crap, now I want one.

-4wd (November 08, 2009, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agggh! I forgot all about these Optimus boards! Curse you, Red Baron! 177,777 pennies....oh well.
 ;)

mfwiniberg:
I never quite understood why the function keys were moved from the left hand end of the keyboard and put along the top. If you are not a typist it makes little difference, but if you are then you have replaced having to move one hand horizontally from the 'home' typing position to having to move two - and given that the position of the function keys in relation to the home positions is not standardised either vertically or horizontally between keyboards (unlike the letter/number keys) it means that a touch typist has their rhythm broken every time they have to use a function key.

app103:
I'd like to have back the functionality provided by turbo + F11. (it locks your keyboard till you hit that combo again. great for cleaning or preventing cats from buying nuclear weapons online)

You know what else would be nice? A mini trackball and joystick on the keyboard, that could be used in place of a mouse or switched to "old timers mode" for gaming, instead of using the arrow keys.

And in the far upper right of the keyboard, right in the corner, a mute button that lights up (optionally blinking) when the pc is muted.

And buttons on a multi-media keyboard that work with your default player, instead of whatever player they feel like associating it with. I can't stand those buttons being set for stuff I don't use and no way to change it. On every keyboard I have ever owned, that email key always opened Outlook Express instead of whatever I used for email, IE instead of my default browser, WMP instead of whatever player I used.

Eject button that actually opens an optical drive....and closes it, too.

And how about some adjustable height feet on the bottom, so you can either raise your keyboard higher or change the angle.

A dedicated pen/pencil holder groove at the top!

And all desktop keyboards should be sealed inside, to protect against damage from spills.

AzureToad:
app103 :Thmbsup:  FTW!!

You know what else would be nice? A mini trackball and joystick on the keyboard, that could be used in place of a mouse or switched to "old timers mode" for gaming, instead of using the arrow keys.

And in the far upper right of the keyboard, right in the corner, a mute button that lights up (optionally blinking) when the pc is muted.

And buttons on a multi-media keyboard that work with your default player, instead of whatever player they feel like associating it with. I can't stand those buttons being set for stuff I don't use and no way to change it. On every keyboard I have ever owned, that email key always opened Outlook Express instead of whatever I used for email, IE instead of my default browser, WMP instead of whatever player I used.

And how about some adjustable height feet on the bottom, so you can either raise your keyboard higher or change the angle.

A dedicated pen/pencil holder groove at the top!

And all desktop keyboards should be sealed inside, to protect against damage from spills.

-app103 (December 10, 2009, 07:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have the adjustable feet - would never want to do without them!
I would LOVE having the mouse closer or as part of the keyboard - it's a pain in the neck to remove the hand to my trackball, then jump back.
And you're right on - ALL keyboards should be sealed!

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmmmm, for super touch-type know-all-the-shortcut-keys people probably the best thing would be a very light-weight headset with laser tracking.  On rare occasions when you want to use the mouse, the tracking would move the mouse pointer to the point you are looking at.  You could wiggle your ears or blnk hard to double-click.

With the electronics so cheap nowadays there may even be something out there.  I know combat pilots have had this laser eye-sight tracking stuff for quite awhile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version