ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Sorting of files into folders - need an easier way

(1/2) > >>

ganrad:
Problem: Daily downloads / mail attachments filling up mydocuments folder real fast. 100s by the end of the week.  These have to be sorted into their respective folders by weekend manually. The destination folders are usually multilevel deep in the folder structure. Such a boring and time consuming task

Solution needed:
Some easy method - the more I think about it - I fancy the idea of having an application that will present all destination folders around mydocuments folder in a graphical way (like mindmap) allowing me to just move the files around. Ofcourse, I should be able to click open the files to see the contents if the name is not suggestive of the destination.

Any thoughts?

CleverCat:
If you want to sort by date this works a treat!

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=14216.msg160906

:Thmbsup:

Crush:
Wouldn´t it be better to look for the last used folders than creating a mindmap-like environment where you never can be sure that the position of your folders are the same? I personally don´t like mindmaps - they´re more confusing than helping at fileworks or managing textual structures. MMs are only useful for collecting a huge bulk of text without taking care of finding particular ones very fast.

ganrad:
Wouldn´t it be better to look for the last used folders than creating a mindmap-like environment where you never can be sure that the position of your folders are the same? I personally don´t like mindmaps - they´re more confusing than helping at fileworks or managing textual structures. MMs are only useful for collecting a huge bulk of text without taking care of finding particular ones very fast.
-Crush (November 08, 2009, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I meant - not really  a mind map but a mind map kind of structure....
With my documents being the central topic (The sun)
All folders within mydocuments being the planets around the sun (with a plus sign to expand the files and folders within the folder)...
This way - I will have 360deg access to all folders and subfolders...

Crush:
Not very easy to do... what´s if the destionation folder is far away on another drive (20 Dirs up and on the next drive 20 Dirs down)? Your way is only interesting, if the destination folders are directly around the files you want to move - I see this as a very special case. So you perhaps will move them more around as necessary. Have you ever tried to place 50 or 100 Names around one in the centre? The navigation would be more complicate than working with two explorers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version