ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wanted: Free and simple cutting optimizer tool.

(1/1)

eleman:
I have big plates of wood, and I have to cut them in predefined sizes and shapes. I am looking for a software to tell me how to cut them so as to minimize the waste.

Also I need my father (aged 70) to be able to use it, so nothing too technical would be a better choice.

I tried a few like cutlist, but most have clumsy interfaces, and some have their fair share of bugs.

Cheers,
E.

--
Indecision is the key to flexibility. [Brian Schottlander]

mrainey:
What shapes beyond square or rectangular?

eleman:
What shapes beyond square or rectangular?
-mrainey (November 07, 2009, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point, sorry I should have been better in defining requirements.

Circles would be nice to have. Triangles would also be fun to have, but I think their utility would not compensate for the extra complications they would impose on the UI.

But I would be content with a decent program that would do only squares and rectangles.

mrainey:
I think circles and triangles might require full-blown commercial nesting software, which can get expensive.

A well-established and relatively inexpensive sheet optimizer for rectangular shapes can be found here:  http://www.sheetlayout.com/

You could get an inexpensive CAD program, or maybe Google Sketchup, and manually lay out the pieces.  That would take more time, but you could use any shapes you wanted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version