ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any XP users switching to Windows 7 yet?

<< < (24/26) > >>

MilesAhead:
Could be a duff driver or a driver conflict with another device. If you are still using the beta version why not do an image backup and install the RTM version to see if the problem was cured in the final release.
-Carol Haynes (December 10, 2009, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not that big a deal.  I'm going to use the beta until the time runs out.  When I buy W7 it will have at least SP1 integrated.  I already know it's OS dependent.  Why do all that reinstall?  When the time runs out then I'll have to.  I can wait until then.

yoyuo:
Indeed win 7 got more favorable review than Vista. I also want to switch my XP to Win7. But still doubt it.

majorspacecase:
Well I'm biting the bullet and making the upgrade from XP Home 32bit to Win 7 64bit. Ordered the upgrade this week and will get it next week.

I had been running the RC for months with no major problems but switched back to XP due to needing to use a program for work that wouldn't run on the RC.

That being said, I'm now in the process of my preupgrade prep-work -
  Downloading drivers, critical programs, etc.and burning them to disk)
  Cleaning out all unneeded junk files
  Backing up files

One thing I'll do just before the upgrade is to use Sysinternals' Disk2vhd to make VHDs of my existing XP harddrives and putting them on my network storage. That way, after the upgrade, not only can I mount the VHDs in Win 7 so I can have access to all my old files (in case I miss anything) but also using either Virtual PC or Virtualbox I can use the VHDs to run my old XP setup as a virtual machine (with a little luck and tweaking) :D

Darwin:
Well I'm biting the bullet and making the upgrade from XP Home 32bit to Win 7 64bit. Ordered the upgrade this week and will get it next week...

That being said, I'm now in the process of my preupgrade prep-work -
  Downloading drivers, critical programs, etc.and burning them to disk)
  Cleaning out all unneeded junk files
  Backing up files

One thing I'll do just before the upgrade is to use Sysinternals' Disk2vhd to make VHDs of my existing XP harddrives and putting them on my network storage. That way, after the upgrade, not only can I mount the VHDs in Win 7 so I can have access to all my old files (in case I miss anything) but also using either Virtual PC or Virtualbox I can use the VHDs to run my old XP setup as a virtual machine (with a little luck and tweaking) :D
-majorspacecase (December 11, 2009, 05:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Er, AFAIK you cannot do an in-place upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit - you'll have to do a clean install and reinstall all of your software. You should be able to back up up program settings and restore them afterward.

majorspacecase:
I'm fully aware that this will be a clean install and will have to reinstall my software, that's just time spent and no big deal.

As for program settings, that's one reason why I'm converting my hardrives to VHDs on network storage and will be able to access their contents at will to retrieve anything I'll need.

As far as any system settings, new system - new settings, that way I won't be bringing over any wonky settings from XP (I do so love to tweak & fiddle :P)

Personal files and documents? Those I already keep on network storage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version