ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any XP users switching to Windows 7 yet?

<< < (23/26) > >>

libeco:
On my old laptop I'm using XP and I'm still very happy with it. On my new laptop (once I get a new one after the previous one died after three days) I'm kind of stuck to 7 x64. If I would be able to use a proper XP x64 I would still prefer it over Vista or 7. I'm trying the newest Ubuntu on my PC and I like it, however, it comes with a price: no Adobe-products or a proper Office-suite (no I really don't like OpenOffice).

chrisGrind:
I may have missed it but the go to program to determine what is causing your disk to be thrashed is Procmon. Highly recommended.

Innuendo:
As soon as I enable the CDROM in device manager, the 1 second ticking starts right up again.-MilesAhead (December 01, 2009, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried swapping out the CD-ROM drive? Maybe it is border-line defective? Also, something less drastic to try is to make sure it's running the latest firmware.

MilesAhead:
As soon as I enable the CDROM in device manager, the 1 second ticking starts right up again.-MilesAhead (December 01, 2009, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you tried swapping out the CD-ROM drive? Maybe it is border-line defective? Also, something less drastic to try is to make sure it's running the latest firmware.
-Innuendo (December 10, 2009, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't get the problem on XP SP2. On google I see people with the same thing.  One OS and SP level will do it, another won't. To me that doesn't indicate defective hardware.  I'll likely be putting on a newer W7 once the time runs out on this one.  I'll see if that fixes it. The burner is working well. Not the time to update firmware.

Carol Haynes:
Could be a duff driver or a driver conflict with another device. If you are still using the beta version why not do an image backup and install the RTM version to see if the problem was cured in the final release.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version