ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any XP users switching to Windows 7 yet?

<< < (17/26) > >>

Eóin:
F0dder, I agree it's very debatable. But it's just no harm remembering that extra memory, both usage and access to, isn't the only thing x64 brings to your PC. Even if it is the most noticeable.

delwoode:
For me its all about maximum program compatability. This is why I am using xp and not a mac os or umbuntu or whatever. I tried Win7 for a couple of weeks. Too many of my  apps didnt like it or would not work. I tried work arounds.  So I will stay with xp for a couple more years until the apps catch up with the operating system.

Innuendo:
For me its all about maximum program compatability. This is why I am using xp and not a mac os or umbuntu or whatever.-delwoode (November 24, 2009, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did the "I'm going to run the less popular, but infinitely more cool OS" thing a long time ago. It was the Amiga & to this day modern OSes could learn a thing about it's elegance and grace. AmigaOS could pre-emptively multi-task very well with just 512K of RAM. Installing device drivers was a simple matter of copying one or two files into a certain directory on your hard drive. Remove the device later? Just delete those two files & you're done. Independent file formats ensured that any word processor could load a file written with another. Same with images and graphics programs. Just try to tell me that wasn't elegant.

I moved to a PC when I realized that, for me, a computer isn't about it's OS. It's about the apps.

I tried Win7 for a couple of weeks. Too many of my  apps didnt like it or would not work. I tried work arounds.  So I will stay with xp for a couple more years until the apps catch up with the operating system.
--- End quote ---

No offense, but your problem isn't a case of your apps not catching up to the operating system. That's already happened. Anything that can work on Vista (a two year old OS) can work on Win7. Anything that can't needs to be upgraded or replaced. Any apps still in development will work with Win7. If yours don't then chances are development stopped a long time ago and you need to start searching for a replacement that'll do what it did.

MilesAhead:
afa Superfetch goes, running locate32 was likely the culprit for most of the drive run-on.  I switched to Everything Search and turned as much indexing off as I could.  I don't cache or shadow network shares, don't index for faster searching, etc.. I tried Superfetch fully enabled, then with the setting I use.
-MilesAhead (November 20, 2009, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

btw although these tweaks, along with tuning some services, quieted down the HD on both Vista 32 bit and Vista64 SP1, they seem to have no benefit on W7 32 bit afaict.  Something is pulsing my HD every 2 seconds.  I'm damned if I can find it.  Unlike Vista, it doesn't seem to hurt performance.  I guess it's one of those "Windows Annoyances" someone will find a cure for in 2 years.

cmpm:
I haven't really 'switched' to w7 yet, but I partitioned half my drive and loaded w7 pro.

I never did vista, so I can only compare it to xp. Did a clean install to the D partition and w7 changed it to C. Which surprisingly did not affect the operation of xp on the other partition, which is now D for xp.

W7 is much faster then XP. All programs I installed works fine. And I can access the xp drive and anything on it, though I haven't tried to run anything from xp via w7. I did install a few things from xp's partition.

UAC is an annoyance, that is certain. Other then that, so far it's an enjoyable experience. Especially since I bought w7 pro at a school discount. $60 total including shipping.

I had to activate games because of the school type release it is, not sure if that's true for all w7' pro's, since it is the business release. Just a tad under Ultimate, of which it's extras would not be needed by me.....I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version