ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any XP users switching to Windows 7 yet?

<< < (13/26) > >>

superboyac:
Honestly I think the 32 bit on 64 bit performance issue is mostly a myth (in practice - in theory there is a genuine reason for it) that has been perpetuated. I'll clam up on that if I see some real-world benchmarks to the contrary though. ;)

But regardless, as someone who has used a 64 bit OS consistently for the last several years, I can say the difference is negligible at most.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (November 19, 2009, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hold on, I'm not familiar about this, can you clarify?  What is the myth?  That 32-bit applications suffer in performance in 64-bit OS?  Or that the difference in performance in general for 64-bit OS's is negligible relative to 32-bit?  Because I was considering moving to Windows 7 64-bit and taking advantage of the additional RAM.

Eóin:
Hold on, I'm not familiar about this, can you clarify?  What is the myth?  That 32-bit applications suffer in performance in 64-bit OS?  Or that the difference in performance in general for 64-bit OS's is negligible relative to 32-bit?
-superboyac (November 19, 2009, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since the days of WinXP x64 I dual booted with a 32bit XP install. So that's identical hardware and never noticed any performance hit on x64. Mind you since switching to Win7 x64 I haven't even bothered to add the existing XP install to the boot manager. I've just not had a reason to use it at all.

f0dder:
For just about every normal game and application, I haven't been able to feel a speed hit when running 32bit applications under a 64bit OS (this is perceived speed, I haven't bothered to run anything resembling a scientific benchmark) - and things in general has felt a bit smoother running 64bit.

There's been a single instance where performance took an abysmal hit, though: Foxit PDF reader. I'm not sure what the problem was, but at least on XP64, rendering complex PDFs is (or was) extremely much slower when running 32bit Foxit on 64bit Windows - so slower that running 32bit foxit in a 32bit XP virtual machine in vmware on the 64bit host actually rendered those PDFs faster :)

I haven't dealt with complex PDFs in a while though, so I don't know if the problem has been fixed with later Foxit versions, and I'm also running Win7-64 right now, where the situation might be different. But it's been one application with slowdown, and pretty special circumstances.

Darwin:
Hold on, I'm not familiar about this, can you clarify?  What is the myth?  That 32-bit applications suffer in performance in 64-bit OS?  Or that the difference in performance in general for 64-bit OS's is negligible relative to 32-bit?  Because I was considering moving to Windows 7 64-bit and taking advantage of the additional RAM.
--- End quote ---

The myth is that 32 bit programs run slower under 64 bit OS's. As you can see, three of us have not really seen that in real world usage (bar f0dder's Foxit Reader example).

JavaJones:
--- End quote ---

The myth is that 32 bit programs run slower under 64 bit OS's. As you can see, three of us have not really seen that in real world usage (bar f0dder's Foxit Reader example).
-Darwin (November 19, 2009, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Exaaactly. I'm curious as to the nature/cause of the Foxit problem too. Might just be a special case.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version