ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any XP users switching to Windows 7 yet?

<< < (25/26) > >>

cmpm:
I loaded W7 onto 2 machines (64 &32).  Haven't used either much yet, but I figure problems with security, obsolete apps, etc. will sort themselves out eventually.  Have to go with the flow if you want to stay with Microsoft OSs.  I still have XP Pro on my workhorse machine and Vista Home on one laptop (other two are XP Pro).  Make a gradual transition as I have the time to familiarize myself with 7.  I have a quad core box that I want to install W7, Ubuntu, and Snow Leopard on, but I can't get a copy of VMWare or a reliable boot loader, so that's on hold for now.  Anyone have any ideas that would help me get that project going would be greatly  appreciated.

Dan
-dMbTiger (December 07, 2009, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Gizmo Drive works on w7.
Free, up to 10 virtual drives.
Maybe more depending on setting it up.
More features too.

I use it, I'm sure anyone can.
Updated yesterday.

http://arainia.com/software/gizmo/overview.php?nID=4

Carol Haynes:
VMWare Workstation is now supposed to be Windows 7 compatible. I am using the latest build on XP but haven't yet tried it on Win7.

Rocketboy:
Here's what I did on my pc...

I started with XP 32bit
Added 2 gigs of memory (to be just under 3 gigs)
 - Things ran nicer, but still, not great

Installed Windows 7 64bit
 - Things started flying

Going to 7 and 64bit made a HUGE improvment to my pc.  Also, I use Vista at work (tech support & excel tool programming),  and all of the things that annoy me in Vista, are fixed, and actually make sense now. 

If you have the drivers to do it (right now, I still can't get any of my old printers working, and my Realtek audio driver front end is no-where near as functional as it was in XP), I highly suggest you do.

Also, the pre-order was a great deal, but a bit too late for that now...  8)

Innuendo:
If you have the drivers to do it (right now, I still can't get any of my old printers working, and my Realtek audio driver front end is no-where near as functional as it was in XP), I highly suggest you do.-Rocketboy (December 15, 2009, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Printers can be difficult to get going, especially if they have an HP badge on the front of them. As for your Realtek audio make sure you are running the latest drivers from their site. I have a *lot* of gripes about Realtek, but the frequency of updates for their audio chipsets isn't one of them. They release new drivers quite frequently.

sinum:
I switch from XP Home and use Windows 7 32 Home (German) since release day on my main PC, it runs very well. The bad thing is, i cant load some Programs (Coretemp, ProcessTamer) at system start without Admin password or account. Even with Administration rights I'm not able to load this proven Programs for standard users. I try all known tricks with taskplaner, you can save the task with Admin Password but it still don't load the program for standard users, i hope Microsoft fix this (BUG?) soon. Microsoft don't secure anything when they force users to use Admin accounts, turn off UAC or hand out Admin passwords to run some software on standard user accounts. No GpEdit in Windows 7 Home is annoying too. :(
I never see a single blue screen or system crash. The explorer window crashes after right clicking a drive letter within the tree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version