ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Idea: A 'polite' reminder/diary system

<< < (10/24) > >>

skwire:
Teaser screenshot:

NANY 2010 Idea: A 'polite' reminder/diary system

doctorfrog:
Everything is still working great here. Looking forward to AnuVu  :D

Have people considered using this for basic time-tracking ?
e.g. if I always lead my note with say ARD for project #1 & SURV for #2 etc,
then if I was able to sort notes alphabetically (& by time) I could roughly see how long I was working on each project

The idea has been in the back of my mind - to be honest I havent really considered it practically beyond what I've written here - just throwing it out there as is ;)
-tomos (November 10, 2009, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've actually been having similar thoughts. This idea has always been a very simple time-tracker/personal blotter for me, but it would be interesting to see a script that could:

1. parse out the individual entries and separate them into categories based on the first word in each entry
2. Then, it could conceivably 'guess' the amount of time between tasks and types of tasks, by measuring the difference in time between the entries.
3. From there, the data can be measured on a time scale, or with graphs, and so forth.

This is all completely beyond the scope of my original request, of course. I'm very happy with what I have so far. For now, you might actually be able to do something like this with a spreadsheet and a fistful of Anuran logs.

skwire:
Everything is still working great here. Looking forward to AnuVu  :D-doctorfrog (November 11, 2009, 02:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good to hear.

I've actually been having similar thoughts. This idea has always been a very simple time-tracker/personal blotter for me, but it would be interesting to see a script that could:
1. parse out the individual entries and separate them into categories based on the first word in each entry
2. Then, it could conceivably 'guess' the amount of time between tasks and types of tasks, by measuring the difference in time between the entries.
3. From there, the data can be measured on a time scale, or with graphs, and so forth. -doctorfrog (November 11, 2009, 02:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

1) This would be easy.
2/3) This, currently, would not be easy.  If Anuran was to go this route, I would have to take out the custom timestamps to the log files as well as the entries and replace them with a full, standard one.  Otherwise, it's conceivable that a user could use a timestamp format that didn't contain all the necessary bits to do this calculation.  Does that make sense?

tomos:
will one be able to search all log files via the viewer ?
or would you recommend using another app?

Re: the timetracker idea -
one would really have to indicate when you're starting on a project & when ending - otherwise:
if all other entries are filtered out you wouldnt know at which times you began / ended

tomos:
we might be reinventing the wheel with the time-tracker idea
I was just having another look at Skrommel's TaskLog - mind you after doing a search I see I had a problem with hibernation which I use relatively often (my computer has problems with standby)

TaskLog
You define your tasks - it logs amount of time spent on each (asks at user selected intervals)
Saves in a csv file, which it can also sort before opening (in Notepad)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version