ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Idea: A 'polite' reminder/diary system

<< < (3/24) > >>

doctorfrog:
Ok, feedback time!

First of all, this is really good. I've been wanting something like this for a while. Nice and simple, no proprietary formats or ridiculous runtimes. I also see that on certain minor details, you anticipated things I was looking for, but did not explicitly state. Thank you and well done!

Here is my feedback. All items are feature requests, unless otherwise stated. Please let me know if anything needs clearer explanation, doesn't seem worth the effort, or just flat out isn't doable. I might be able to plead my case either way.  ;)

Bold: Very important
Normal: moderately important
Italicized: nice to have, but can live without

Feature Requests:

Popup:

* user-configurable sound on popup event (this can be included in the options dialog, or can default to .\alert.wav)
* toggle: taskbar blink on popup event (blink/no blink)
* toggle:
a: (default and current) ENTER dismisses popup and creates entry, CTRL-ENTER creates new line in popup text field
b: (alternative setting) ENTER creates new line in popup text field, CTRL-ENTER dismisses popup and creates entry
* remember last position
* stay on top if lose focus   

Logfile:

* user-configurable carriage return in between logfile entries (1,2,3 (or n) carriage returns, 1 is default)
* toggle: ENTER on popup with no text creates/doesn't create an empty entry in the log (doesn't create is default)
* user-configurable file extension (.txt is default)
* MINOR BUG: Currently, if there is no empty line to write an entry to, the entry is written to the previous line. (this happens if the log is opened and edited, and no carriage return is inserted at the end of the document). Desired behavior: automatically insert carriage return as necessary when writing a new entry.
Tray icon:

* right-click menu on systray icon: Diary entry, Options, About, Exit
* double-click on systray icon: popup shows, no event sound
* user-configurable tray icon, provide default (can use creepy frog icon at http://turbomilk.com/downloads/zoom_eyed/)
Timestamps (affects popup, logfile, and logfile entries):

* user-configurable timestamp in logfile entry
* user-configurable timestamp in logfile name
* user-configurable timestamp in popup titlebar
* user-configurable timestamp format can be UNIX style string, ie. %a_%d_%H%M (see http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/docs/bblean_details.htm#Clock_Formatting)
* all three of the above can feed off of one setting, or off of individual settings for each.
Hotkey:

* user-configurable hotkey to bring up popup
* user-configurable hotkey to bring up options dialog
Me:

* I can assist with writing a readme.txt if necessary, and finding a suitable application icon.
* I can also attempt to compose a FrogDiary icon with my horribly limited GIMP skills and access to some clip art.
* Using sfxr (http://gog.is/sfxr), I've created a few sample alert sounds for the app (attached).

rgdot:
This is great and nice idea too, thanx. May be just a small tweak, the popup position be configurable, not important obviously.

EDIT: Any chance, much like the Icon Menu Launcher for example, ExitApp can be incorporated into it? Even though this needs to start at intervals of course

(I am already thinking of using the log or data collected over time and importing them into a richer format for future browsing)

doctorfrog:
Two more minor requirements:

* Need an option to detect and block multiple instances of FrogDiary. (Though I could see how multiple instances might be desirable.)
* Need an option to toggle whether FrogDiary asks for new options at startup. (Currently asks every time.)

skwire:
Wow...lots of replies and requests.  I'll try to answer them all.  That initial build only represented about an hour of work so, obviously, there is plenty of room for improvement.

* one request would be that it stay on top until properly dismissed - currently can get lost behind other apps
* It would be nice if one could call it up manually to add a note
* oh yeah, it uses a 12 hr clock?
e.g. the saved text file says 20091105 05:53:35:
Windows time said 17:53-tomos (November 05, 2009, 11:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

1) Already implemented.
2) Yes, I'll add a hotkey as well as an option to the tray menu.
3) Hmmmm...it should have shown as:  20091105 11:12:02 PM: <entry text here>
Personally, I'd like to use military time (24hr clock) but not everybody likes that.

* Yes, I should have put that in my list. Behavior should be on-top, unfocused, and ENTER dismisses only if it's in focus.
* Given that one might want to enter a diary entry at any time, or may have accidentally dismissed a popup before creating an entry,
* I should have also said: the app should live in the system tray, but the popup should appear in the task bar and be visible during ALT+TAB.-doctorfrog (November 05, 2009, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

1) In my latest build, it pops up as AOT and un-focused.  In other words, it should work how you like now.
2) [Skipped]
3) Hmmm...the app does live in the tray and the popup is visible in the taskbar and via alt-tab.  Or, were you making a general statement here and not a request?

Ok, feedback time!
First of all, this is really good. I've been wanting something like this for a while. Nice and simple, no proprietary formats or ridiculous runtimes. I also see that on certain minor details, you anticipated things I was looking for, but did not explicitly state. Thank you and well done!-doctorfrog (November 05, 2009, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the kind words.

Popup:

* user-configurable sound on popup event (this can be included in the options dialog, or can default to .\alert.wav)
* toggle: taskbar blink on popup event (blink/no blink)
* toggle:
a: (default and current) ENTER dismisses popup and creates entry, CTRL-ENTER creates new line in popup text field
b: (alternative setting) ENTER creates new line in popup text field, CTRL-ENTER dismisses popup and creates entry
* remember last position
* stay on top if lose focus-doctorfrog (November 05, 2009, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

1) Sound...sure, can do.
2) Taskbar blinking...how many times?  Configurable?
3) Enter/Ctrl-Enter functionality.  Sure.
4) Position saving.  Absolutely.
5) In the latest build, it stays on top regardless.

Logfile:

* user-configurable carriage return in between logfile entries (1,2,3 (or n) carriage returns, 1 is default)
* toggle: ENTER on popup with no text creates/doesn't create an empty entry in the log (doesn't create is default)
* user-configurable file extension (.txt is default)
* MINOR BUG: Currently, if there is no empty line to write an entry to, the entry is written to the previous line. (this happens if the log is opened and edited, and no carriage return is inserted at the end of the document). Desired behavior: automatically insert carriage return as necessary when writing a new entry.-doctorfrog (November 05, 2009, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

1) CRs between entries.  Hmmm...kludgy.  What I'd rather do is, eventually, build a viewer that would display the entries.
2) Blank entries.  Fixed in the current build.
3) I'd rather not make this user-configurable.  I'd rather choose a new extension and go with that.
4) Missing CR bug: This is better solved by coming up with a simple format to the actual diary files.  This would also allow for the aforementioned viewer to be built.

Tray icon:

* right-click menu on systray icon: Diary entry, Options, About, Exit
* double-click on systray icon: popup shows, no event sound
* user-configurable tray icon, provide default (can use creepy frog icon at http://turbomilk.com/downloads/zoom_eyed/)-doctorfrog (November 05, 2009, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

1) Sure, had planned to if this prototype was what you had in mind.
2) Can do.
3) Can do.

Timestamps (affects popup, logfile, and logfile entries):

* user-configurable timestamp in logfile entry
* user-configurable timestamp in logfile name
* user-configurable timestamp in popup titlebar
* user-configurable timestamp format can be UNIX style string, ie. %a_%d_%H%M (see http://bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean/docs/bblean_details.htm#Clock_Formatting)
* all three of the above can feed off of one setting, or off of individual settings for each.-doctorfrog (November 05, 2009, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I underestimated the response regarding this app so, with that in mind, I would say:
1) Entry timestamp: I'd rather move to create a simple standard format for the entries and build a viewer for them.  Your thoughts.
2) Logfile timestamp: If we can agree on a permanent file extension, I would agree to this.  Otherwise, it adds needless complexity to the app, IMHO.
3) Titlebar timestamp: Can do.
4) Any reason for this?  I mean, AHK has all the tokens necessary already.

Hotkey:

* user-configurable hotkey to bring up popup
* user-configurable hotkey to bring up options dialog-doctorfrog (November 05, 2009, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

1 & 2) Can do.

Me:

* I can assist with writing a readme.txt if necessary, and finding a suitable application icon.
* I can also attempt to compose a FrogDiary icon with my horribly limited GIMP skills and access to some clip art.
* Using sfxr (http://gog.is/sfxr), I've created a few sample alert sounds for the app (attached).-doctorfrog (November 05, 2009, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think the frog icon you mentioned above is a great choice for the application icon.  Also, some names we could call this in sticking with the whole amphibian theme :D :

* Frog Diary
* Diary Frog
* Ribbit
* Croaker
* Anuran  <-- Good one.
* Tadpole
* Polliwog
I'm sure Cranioscopical will chime in on this...he can't resist.

skwire:
EDIT: Any chance, much like the Icon Menu Launcher for example, ExitApp can be incorporated into it? Even though this needs to start at intervals of course
-rgdot (November 05, 2009, 02:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Are you asking for a File, Exit menu bar on the popup?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version