ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > TFDocs

tfdocs.com - first suggestions and criticisms

(1/3) > >>

Paul Keith:
mouser, I'd just like to start that I know nothing about online application creation and I know it's too early to suggest additional features but:

IMO in this day and age, most popular apps support Twitter logins at the minimum.

IMO in the same vein, while sending via e-mail is a well appreciated feature (really the rest would be +100 for online notetakes and don't need to be mentioned) most web service users tend to cry foul when their favorite popular sharing services like Twitter and Facebook aren't included at minimum.

IMO while the red and blue is a fitting contrast, flashing bright red is distracting in the eyes.

Finally, while I don't think mobile is the end all be all, majority of online users appear to disagree.

There seems to be a growing perception that a notetaker is nothing special if the ui isn't configured for mobile.

None of these are glaring issues for me except for the flashing red. I'm just glad that you made such a service to TFLM.

It's just that I think these words need to be said even this early no matter how unpopular and ungrateful it may come off.

mouser:
All suggestions and criticisms are welcome.  I'm going to split this off onto it's own thread though, so we can discuss in more detail.

mouser:
>IMO in this day and age, most popular apps support Twitter logins at the minimum.
> IMO in the same vein, while sending via e-mail is a well appreciated feature (really the rest would be +100 for online notetakes and don't need to be mentioned) most web service users tend to cry foul when their favorite popular sharing services like Twitter and Facebook aren't included at minimum.

i think the first thing to say is that i don't have much expectation that tfdocs will ever be used by more than a handful of people.  certainly not when it comes to editing and creating new treeform documents (there may be a few more anonymous users of the forms if people ever create some good ondes).

so.. i think for now i'm going to treat this as a very niche thing. it has no funding and no source of revenue, nor do i expect it to.  that just means that i'm not going to spend large amounts of time implementing stuff in the hope that the service will "catch on."

having said that -- tfdocs is built on top of drupal.  i have in the past spent considerable time developing my own cms-type frameworks, but this time i decided to spend some time with drupal, which i have mixed feelings about.  one advantage of it though, is that there are modules to add openid support and perhaps things like twitter/facebook integration.  so maybe things like this are not too hard to add later.

>IMO while the red and blue is a fitting contrast, flashing bright red is distracting in the eyes.

the whole flashing thing is only there to draw your attention to the changes, but fair enough i don't really care what color it is if someone has a better suggestion.  it is nice to be able to distinguish between text that is fading out (red) vs fading in (blue), so keep that in mind.  in a desktop application i would add lots of customizable options -- but for a web app that seems overkill.

>Finally, while I don't think mobile is the end all be all, majority of online users appear to disagree.
yeah that's not going to be a concern any time soon for me -- this requires lots of real estate and with the small # of users i dont see much point.

>There seems to be a growing perception that a notetaker is nothing special if the ui isn't configured for mobile.
let's remember this isn't a notetaker(!) there are lots of great notetakers and some good online ones, and this has none of the important features that those do.  this is not for notetaking!

>None of these are glaring issues for me except for the flashing red. I'm just glad that you made such a service to TFLM.It's just that I think these words need to be said even this early no matter how unpopular and ungrateful it may come off.

Thanks for the suggestions -- keep them coming!  :up:

Paul Keith:
Thanks for the fast reply mouser.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that it isn't very obvious whether a form is private or not and how to toggle it on and off and the split summary/join summary is not very clear on what it actually does at first sight.

mouser:
good points -- there is a lot more that needs to be done documenting stuff and explaining stuff.
there are only 2 ways a form can be private:
1) users can select to keep a form in "draft" (unpublished) mode, which will make it only visible to them
2) users who are members of GROUPS can keep their forms private to a specific group.

Groups are fully functional but only I can create groups currently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version