ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > TFDocs

tfdocs.com - first suggestions and criticisms

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
i've noticed a couple of bugs still present:

* paragraph breaks are somewhat unpredictable.  i need to improve this. try setting: format="bbcodep" as an attribute for your output container as a workaround for now.

Paul Keith:
mouser, this is a reply to your post in the other thread:

I think due to lack of GUI for non-technical people like me, you could consider opting for a walkthrough instead of a help guide.

With regards to the help itself, I think it's too small and easy to miss. Maybe change the wording to "Get Started Here" and turn it into a button.

Maybe even turn it into a note like the publishing option.

(Btw even after I read the note, I can't spot where the publishing option is)

Back to why a walkthrough might be better:

I think there's really no way to make the terms come off as less technical.

The input is just way too different.

I think like markdown, the only way to introduce it to the user is to use a cheat sheet and get them to try it out.

Unlike markdown though, this goes beyond basic formatting.

The user has to redefine their expectations and preview the contents in their head.

Constantly clicking preview to verify things is just too slow.

It would be better for the non-technical users to have several templates to refer to and edit for themselves.

Something like describing the different nodes could be much simpler and much clearer explained by a form that already previews how each of the nodes look than a run-down list describing what each nodes should look like in text definition.

If this is too much trouble, maybe adding images to the help could suffice.

Definitions for nodes like "hidden" could be better saved for what the node can be used for instead of describing how the node behaves.

mouser:
It's clear that creating the document xml from scratch is not something for the faint hearted.

My problem is that it's like the chicken and the egg -- i'm not really prepared to invest a lot of time creating an easy-to-use online drag and drop tree creator if there isn't much interest in the too, and right now that's the case.  Of course that could partially be because it's so hard for anyone to figure out how to create trees :)

Now that you can export from TFLM, i'm hoping that people can use TFLM to get started creating xml for trees.

Maybe if i could find a company that wanted to fun some further development of the tools for commercial use, other possibilities could be explored.

Until then let's just see what people can come up with using the current interface.  Maybe someone can make a screencast or walkthrough..

Paul Keith:
Hmm... maybe it's because I used TFLM on wine and then opened it using Leafpad and copy-pasted the content from there but I'm getting a bad syntax error whenever I preview the form.

mouser:
send me an email with more information and i'll try to help ([email protected]), or a pm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version