ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

beeping, cheeping, chirping :-(

<< < (2/3) > >>

Josh:
Can you try playing an audio/video file in safe mode? See if it studders/crackles there?

nudone:
probably completely unrelated but a friend of mine kept complaining about his laptop not playing things properly even though he knew the same files had worked in the past - the solution was to turn dma back on - somehow it had been disabled.

brotherS:
Can you try playing an audio/video file in safe mode? See if it studders/crackles there?
-Josh (January 07, 2006, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
IIRC Winamp did play sounds fine in safe mode (has been a while).

probably completely unrelated but a friend of mine kept complaining about his laptop not playing things properly even though he knew the same files had worked in the past - the solution was to turn dma back on - somehow it had been disabled.
-nudone (January 07, 2006, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ah, interesting. Windows is really strange sometimes...

Innuendo:
May be just the excuse you need to blow out the cobwebs by doing a fresh install of Windows. :)

Hirudin:
A couple things I would try...

Uninstall the driver, restart the comp, and let windows reinstall it. This fixes tons of problems...

Also, I find that if something happens "for no reason" it's probably a heat issue. It's possible the "recovery" period is simply letting whatever is overheating cool down.   ...?
Whenever I suspect something is overheating I will just stick a desk fan in front of the comp/device. If the problem goes away it's heat, if it stays it's something else. Maybe your case needs a canned air treatment.

One last thing, how often does this happen?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version