ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Open source remake of the classic game Elite

<< < (5/6) > >>

JavaJones:
Speaking of infinite game universes, are any of you familiar with Infinity: The Quest for Earth? Deozaan, I imagine this might be particularly interesting for you. It's aimed at being an MMO, but the engine that powers it looks to be fantastically powerful (read the developer's blog, and check out videos of it on YouTube), so I hope it ends up being available for other game development (open source or commercially).

- Oshyan

Crush:
This is really cool, but is there a game coming up with more than only one galaxy? In our universe are at least 100.000.000.000 galaxies.

Deozaan:
Speaking of infinite game universes, are any of you familiar with Infinity: The Quest for Earth? Deozaan, I imagine this might be particularly interesting for you. It's aimed at being an MMO, but the engine that powers it looks to be fantastically powerful (read the developer's blog, and check out videos of it on YouTube), so I hope it ends up being available for other game development (open source or commercially).

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (November 10, 2009, 01:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds awesome! Reminds me of EVE Online.

JavaJones:
Yes, like EVE, except even better graphics, fully simulated galaxy (maybe Universe?) of hundreds of thousands of stars, real-world planetary (and galactic) scales with planets you can fly down to from space right down to a few meters above ground, planets including mountains and vegetation and whatnot, and - my favorite - you can actually fly the ships directly, rather than the more RTS-like EVE ship control.

- Oshyan

Deozaan:
Yes, like EVE, except even better graphics, fully simulated galaxy (maybe Universe?) of hundreds of thousands of stars, real-world planetary (and galactic) scales with planets you can fly down to from space right down to a few meters above ground, planets including mountains and vegetation and whatnot, and - my favorite - you can actually fly the ships directly, rather than the more RTS-like EVE ship control.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (November 11, 2009, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

A couple years ago, shortly after I first tried EVE, I came across a game called Evochron Renegades (which was really interesting because at that time I believe the EVE subtitle was Renegade). Anyway, it's a game with similarities to what you just described, including flying from space down to crashing on the planet's surface and first person control of your ship.

In short, Evochron Renegades is unique among freeform space-sims in that it offers a wide range of gameplay choices and activities including buying, trading, negotiating, bribing, spying, racing, transporting, mining, exploring, cleaning equipment, clearing paths through asteroid fields, recruiting, protecting, hiring crew members, fuel harvesting, and designing your ship. The upgrades, ships, equipment, money, and commodities you earn in the game can be used in both the single player and multiplayer modes. You don't have to give up your progress in the game when switching between single player and multiplayer, nor do you have to give up what you earn when you join different multiplayer sessions.

Also, everything you do in the game takes place in a seamless universe without system 'walls', there are no required warp gates or trade lanes to restrict your travel and hold you back. You can travel anywhere you want, with or without jump drives and gates, as long as you have the fuel and time to get there. You can descend into planet atmospheres (without loading screens or sudden environment flipping) to land at city trade stations or explore for hidden items. You can escape to nebula clouds for sensor cover or hide in a massive asteroid cave for protection. If you're low on fuel and don't have money, but you have a tractor beam and fuel converter, then retrieve photon particles from nearby stars and emissive nebulae which can be processed into fuel.-http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/evochronrenegades/features.htm
--- End quote ---

I bought it on one of those Deal of the Day things but for some reason never really played it, so I can't make a judgement as to whether or not it's a good game.

EDIT: Apparently a new game in the Evochron series came out earlier this year: Evochron Legends.

Here's the YouTube Preview for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version