ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Linux Desktop Turns 10: World Yawns?

<< < (2/2)

Innuendo:
I used to run a Cisco router here at home, but when I went to look for an upgrade it seemed they had lost their way. Their replacement SOHO router had a gigabit WAN port and four Fast Ethernet LAN ports. Can anyone tell me where there's a SOHO environment where that would make sense?

I ended up replacing my Cisco with a Linksys that has gigabit WAN and LAN ports, wireless G & N, a faster CPU, and runs Linux for a fraction of what a Cisco router costs. Seems very fitting given the tone of this topic.

zridling:
I ended up replacing my Cisco with a Linksys that has gigabit WAN and LAN ports, wireless G & N, a faster CPU, and runs Linux for a fraction of what a Cisco router costs. Seems very fitting given the tone of this topic.
-Innuendo (November 13, 2009, 10:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tip, Innuendo. I'm shopping for a new router by January.

zridling:
Mike Doyle has had enough of Macs. Here's another switcher in progress. Both good arguments for open computing. (It's my hardware; it's my data. I should be able to take it with me when I leave.)

I Am a Future PC: Why I’m Dumping Apple after 15 Years
http://www.chicagocarless.com/2009/11/04/i-am-a-future-pc-why-im-dumping-apple-after-15-years/

Control Issues: Why Apple Doesn’t Want You to Use Linux
http://www.chicagocarless.com/2009/11/12/control-issues-why-apple-doesnt-want-you-to-use-linux/

Innuendo:
Thanks for the tip, Innuendo. I'm shopping for a new router by January. -zridling (November 13, 2009, 03:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just read up on 3rd-party firmwares such as DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, and others by visiting their web sites & then choose a router to buy that supports your chosen firmware. For about $100 you'll have a router that can do everything the $500+ routers can.

Innuendo:
Mike Doyle has had enough of Macs.-zridling (November 13, 2009, 03:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mike Doyle also has a passing resemblance to Stuart Pankin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version