ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Time to kill the OS upgrade disc?

<< < (2/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
What we need is a free extended Dos to come installed on the machine so you can test that the hardware functions on boot.  Then either put Linux on or the OEM disc you bought.  I'm really getting tired of more and more crapware and annoyances coming on pre-installed machines.  It's a waste of 2 days just taking that crap off and getting the machine so you can use it normally.

Seems like the Linux pre-installed fad has faded and the PCs are not exactly kick ass machines anyway.  I keep hearing about market vacuums being filled but this one hasn't leaked in years.

Innuendo:
I'm really getting tired of more and more crapware and annoyances coming on pre-installed machines.  It's a waste of 2 days just taking that crap off and getting the machine so you can use it normally.-MilesAhead (November 02, 2009, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can't speak for other OEMs, but some Dells allow you to opt out of the crapware when you ordered a machine. Or at least you used to be able to anyway. The OS recovery discs Dell includes with their machines are crapware free. If you get a Dell that has crapware installed it's a simple matter to do an OS re-install with the included media and get a crapware-free desktop.

zridling:
HP's crapware took me several hours to remove from my wife's netbook. Why the hell does a netbook need 26Gb of sheer unregistered crap?! It even had both office and MS Works on it, but once you opened either, you were immediately asked to pay for them. It's a huge waste of time, we all agree.

40hz:
Why the hell does a netbook need 26Gb of sheer unregistered crap?!
-zridling (November 03, 2009, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

$$$  ;D

Innuendo:
$$$-40hz (November 03, 2009, 01:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, these companies aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts trying to help you find software you might like. They get a cut of every sale made due to that crapware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version