ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Time to kill the OS upgrade disc?

<< < (3/3)

Stoic Joker:
I'm really getting tired of more and more crapware and annoyances coming on pre-installed machines.  It's a waste of 2 days just taking that crap off and getting the machine so you can use it normally.-MilesAhead (November 02, 2009, 02:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can't speak for other OEMs, but some Dells allow you to opt out of the crapware when you ordered a machine. Or at least you used to be able to anyway. The OS recovery discs Dell includes with their machines are crapware free. If you get a Dell that has crapware installed it's a simple matter to do an OS re-install with the included media and get a crapware-free desktop.
-Innuendo (November 03, 2009, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
Quite true, specifically on the Vostro's and the other SMB stuff. ...You order a new comp with Windows on it, and damned if it don't show up with nothing but windows on it. I was pleasently blown away first time I got one outa the box.

Innuendo:
Quite true, specifically on the Vostro's and the other SMB stuff. ...You order a new comp with Windows on it, and damned if it don't show up with nothing but windows on it. I was pleasently blown away first time I got one outa the box.-Stoic Joker (November 03, 2009, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can't speak for the way it is now, but when I bought my XPS system it came clean as well.

zridling:
Can't find it now -- maybe it was on the NeoWin site -- but Microsoft actually wants vendors to sell a clean PC. Microsoft takes the brunt of this criticism when vendors pile those pantloads on the system.

Hirudin:
I've never bought a pre-built desktop as far as I can remember but when I buy a laptop it doesn't take me long to format and reinstall using a clean Windows disc. So far I've never had a computer that wouldn't let me activate using the COA stuck to the computer.

Formatting and reinstalling is more consistent, less involved, better (IMO), and can be faster (depending on how many updates Microsoft has released). The only hurdle is getting ahold of a genuine Windows disc with witch to do the install. Microsoft would probably be better off if their ISOs were more easily obtained.

Innuendo:
Here's a tool to decrapify a new PC:

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

Never had need to use it myself, but I've heard good things about it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version