ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Surprised by Win7

<< < (8/8)

Carol Haynes:
Anyone using win 7 with dial up? Any issues? I have a client that used to use dial up without any issue but someone kindly installed Win 7 (not me) on her system and now dial up won't work.

I have found a number of support forums logging issues with dial up but without any real reason.

Innuendo:
I've got a tentative vague appointment with a client in a couple days to work out their dialup issues. They want to try to figure it out themselves first as it's quite a drive for me, but I'll report back if I have to make the house call.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks

MilesAhead:
I never pin items to the start menu.  If I use it at all it's to uninstall something or to launch something I use so little that the only shortcut is there.-MilesAhead (November 04, 2009, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh well...it was a shot in the dark. Sorry it wasn't more helpful.
-Innuendo (November 05, 2009, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not at all.  I figured W7 straight upgrade wouldn't work, but I thought, if I can put it on without reconfiguring all my apps it's worth a try.  I just laid a Vista64 image back down when I found a few things were flaky.  So far the Custom upgrade seems to work well. I haven't tried the clean install yet.  If I go that way I think I'll just spring for an OEM disk instead of messing around with registry hacks or double installs or whatnot.

Innuendo:
If I go that way I think I'll just spring for an OEM disk instead of messing around with registry hacks or double installs or whatnot.-MilesAhead (November 05, 2009, 05:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think if I were doing it rather than buying again what you essentially have I would look into building an ISO image that at the end of the intall routine executed a .reg file that made the necessary registry entries automatically.

I miss the days of when installing upgrade media the installer would pause & allow you to insert your previous OS disc in the drive for validation rather than insisting that previous OS was currently installed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version