ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What's your Programming Language?

<< < (14/17) > >>

Tuxman:
There is no way to explicitly declare pointers. In Java, everything is sort of a reference. (AFAIK.)

Josh:
Tux: I have to ask, you have been quite vocal about your preferences of what is/isn't a programming language and the particulars of each. Do you have any examples of your work? Perhaps a sample application you can show?

Tuxman:
Well, I'm not that professional ...

Two of the various projects I'm regularly working on:
1) Gamers.IRC, written in a scripting language
2) eMule beba, written in a programming language

:-[

MilesAhead:
On the idea of different languages being suited for different tasks, that was the appeal that got me into COM.  Then the .NET promised mixing and matching to do different parts of a task in the suitable language.  Now we also have to contend with 32 bit vs. 64 bit loadable libraries or assemblies or in process servers or whatever.

Maybe what we need is JITE instead of JIT?  Just In Time Encrypted compiler.  That way you can distribute the code as compilable source without "giving it away."  The host machine knows if it is 32 bit or 64 bit and a bunch of other things about itself.  It should compile the loadable libraries and the main executables with the same Bitness and calling conventions.  No more thunks.  The program and associated libraries could be "compiled" as part of the install process.  I dunno', I'm not that far into my coffee yet so strange ideas are to be expected. :)

jeremejazz:
Where does Java provide more functionality? It doesn't even support pointers.
-Tuxman (November 15, 2009, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Because pointers were found to be confusing and usually leads to computer crash if misused... why point something(like a variable) if you could use them directly...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version