ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What's your Programming Language?

<< < (5/17) > >>

rgdot:
Yay, language wars!   :onfire: :harhar: ::)
-tranglos (October 26, 2009, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

French is the best  :P

However it is described, I would say PHP, and I am 'exploring' it with smarty and liking it even more

MilesAhead:
I get the reference to references.  Still it's an annoying quirk of the language.  One can't always insist on a reference just because one doesn't like holding the shift key.

Since you mention the pointer ownership, another thing I found annoying was they came up with auto_ptr without coming up with autoarray_ptr.  Had to roll that myself.  Seems a big oversight for a language that uses arrays of characters as fake strings in common practice.  The whole bit of having to call "delete []" is pretty lame.  No wonder it's portable to lots of hardware.  The programmer has to do so much of the work.  Stuff like that should be built in.
If you allocate an array the memory system should be smart enough to use the correct deallocator without me spelling it out. More DIY parsing crap.

CWuestefeld:
another thing I found annoying was they came up with auto_ptr without coming up with autoarray_ptr.
-MilesAhead (October 26, 2009, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm. Never noticed. One reason is that by the time this stuff was being developed, I was already moving away from the language.

But also, Scott Meyers' Effective C++ really put me off arrays. I'd only use an array as a last resort, preferring other collections instead, since arrays are completely broken under polymorphism, and the philosophy of C++ is largely to assume that anything might employ inheritance.

That book, by the way, was the big eye-opener for me. Stuff like that warning about (non-)polymorphic arrays really helped me understand how the language really works. But as I said earlier, I still can't rate my skills as a 9 or a 10.

Speaking of different types of languages, did you know that C++'s templates (that is, not the core language itself, but its template facility) is Turing complete? See here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/189172/c-templates-turing-complete

MilesAhead:
Mainly I used my autoarray_ptr with memory buffer allocation.  I'd assign the array to an autoarray_ptr.  Then when the autoarray_ptr goes out of scope, the destructor deallocates the array.  Saves on couplets of code like
If error {
deallocate
return
}

you just do whatever you want about the error and the memory release takes care of itself when you exit scope.  As for templates, they have their uses although if you try to do something original with ATL you might find your fondness diminishes rapidly.  Macro substitution just ain't the same as true inheritance.  You get half way down a chain of ATL macros and then find you just can't get it to go.  Effort spent unwisely.

app103:
For me, a real programming language is something you'll get an executable file from. Thus, Java is none either.  :D
-Tuxman (October 26, 2009, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you would classify both Javascript and JScript as being in the same category, then you should know that it is possible to have a .NET executable (.exe or .dll) from JScript code. And yes, it does have to be compiled. (I posted about it here, not that long ago)

A friend of mine, that is a genuine Javascript junkie, is currently writing an IDE for JScript, in JScript, for the purpose of writing and compiling desktop software.  :D

And I personally do consider scripts to be executable files, even if they do require a framework to be installed on the computer in which one would be executing it, or if the framework is included in the executable, as in the case with compiled AHK scripts.

If you don't think so, then you probably don't believe that most executables are written in a "real programming language" and probably think the only real one is ASM. To think otherwise would be naive and/or elitist, since almost every executable requires a framework of some sort, even if that framework is already included with the operating system or is the operating system itself. Most executables can not be tossed on an empty hard drive on a machine without an operating system and be expected to be able to be run, all by itself, needing nothing else to support it.

That being said, my language of choice is Delphi. It was the first one that made any sense to me. (and I have this allergy to curly braces that kind of keeps me away from most other languages  :P)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version