ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Minefield(Firefox) 3.7Pre seems to work

<< < (7/8) > >>

MilesAhead:
I'm using 3.6 Beta 2.  Works fine.  Even the TV Guide descriptions work.  Every now and again I try 3.7 to see if it's any snappier.  But I guess once you have a version where JIT is activated then it's as snappy as it's going to get for awhile.

It is kind of funny how these browsers develop.  Like with Opera, it has built in media player so I use it to listen to clips on AllMusic.com.  But, they seem obstinate in their refusal to put a Stop Button on the toolbar like just about every other browser.  Once you start a clip or any other action with the thing, the only way to make it quit is either close the browser or go to another page.  I've suggested a Stop Button on occasion but then I'm immediately classified as among the barbarians.  Weird!

Innuendo:
I've suggested a Stop Button on occasion but then I'm immediately classified as among the barbarians.  Weird!-MilesAhead (December 17, 2009, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I never really took a shine to Opera. They programmed their browser to be weird and different than any other browser on the planet & even going extra-ordinary lengths to do so. And....they like it that way. No, thanks. Being different is fine, but intentionally crippling functionality to do so is not the right way to go about being different.

MilesAhead:
Some things Opera has are really nice.  But stuff like clicking the mouse 4 times to copy a line of text to the clipboard just promotes CTS.  When I suggested an AutoCopy like FF has you'd think I advocated dissemination of small pox laced blankets.  I mean, it gets weird!

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmmm, just trying 3.7Pre on my Vista64 machine.  I guess the big deal with this one is GPU rendering support if you have a direct3d 10 capable card.

It didn't kill my AddOns this time.  So far it seems solid.  The progress bars on Tabs zip across when opening several pages at once.  Feels a tad snappier anyway.  TV Guide descriptions still broken but I can live with that if it's fast.

MilesAhead:
btw any FF aficionados know how to tell if hardware acceleration is enabled?  Is there an option in about:config?  I know I don't have the hottest graphics cards but every app that tells me it has an option for HW acceleration, if it's on or off Task Manager reports the same CPU and memory usage.  Just seems a bit weird.

This isn't just FF but media players etc..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version