ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

wanted: simple, stable bittorrent client for windows

<< < (9/11) > >>

f0dder:
I'm no tech-savvy person, and I download torrents and my router seems happy enough. It's a Linksys router with the Tomato firmware, by the way.-TucknDar (October 27, 2009, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
Running Tomato and not being tech-savvy? I sense a bit of contradiction in that sentence ;)

Innuendo:
Running Tomato and not being tech-savvy? I sense a bit of contradiction in that sentence ;)-f0dder (October 27, 2009, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Laugh...you beat me to it, f0dder!

TucknDar, running any third-party firmware will relieve you of 99% of any limitations your router may have had. If you had stuck with the stock firmware you most likely would not be having such great luck with torrents.

40hz:
I'm no tech-savvy person, and I download torrents and my router seems happy enough. It's a Linksys router with the Tomato firmware, by the way.-TucknDar (October 27, 2009, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
Running Tomato and not being tech-savvy? I sense a bit of contradiction in that sentence ;)
-f0dder (October 27, 2009, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Laugh...you beat me to it, f0dder!
-Innuendo (October 27, 2009, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D ;D ;D Spot on!

(Especially considering Tomato :-*  is probably the best of breed when it comes to replacement firmware for consumer routers.)

Innuendo:
(Especially considering Tomato :-*  is probably the best of breed when it comes to replacement firmware for consumer routers.)-40hz (October 27, 2009, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Tomato is very good, but it cannot match the number of routers that DD-WRT supports. I'd love to try Tomato (or OpenWRT or some of the others), but my router is only supported by DD-WRT.

That's okay, I guess...DD-WRT gives me access to more features than I'll ever use & is much more responsive than the stock firmware.

40hz:
Tomato is very good, but it cannot match the number of routers that DD-WRT supports. I'd love to try Tomato (or OpenWRT or some of the others), but my router is only supported by DD-WRT.

That's okay, I guess...DD-WRT gives me access to more features than I'll ever use & is much more responsive than the stock firmware.
-Innuendo (October 27, 2009, 11:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't get me wrong. DD-WRT is a fine choice too. I've used both.

But from my experience (and what I've read) it basically comes down to stability vs features. Tomato is the more stable product. DD-WRT has more built-in functionality.

I don't know if anybody else had this experience, but I found Tomato to be significantly more stable than DD-WRT on Linksys hardware. For some strange reason, DD-WRT has a habit of "going off into limbo" on some Linksys routers. Once that happens, they invariably need a 'bounce' (i.e. hard power cycle) to get them back up because you can no longer access the web interface to do a soft reboot.

I've also had occasions where DD-WRT would repeatedly drop a PPoE/DSL connection on certain WRT-54G routers no matter how much I adjusted various settings to prevent it from happening. Installing Tomato on those same routers fixed the problem permanently without needing to tweak anything.

Just my 2ยข 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version