ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

wanted: simple, stable bittorrent client for windows

<< < (7/11) > >>

Tuxman:
You might want to apologize for calling µTorrent bloated.-f0dder (October 26, 2009, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
No.  :P

However, the choice of a P2P client for a certain network is mostly a matter of personal favors. Mine is different. Is that, at least, OK for everyone?

8)

f0dder:
However, the choice of a P2P client for a certain network is mostly a matter of personal favors. Mine is different. Is that, at least, OK for everyone?-Tuxman (October 26, 2009, 08:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Sure is; calling other clients bad names and throwing accusation around for no good reason isn't.

Innuendo:
Sure is; calling other clients bad names and throwing accusation around for no good reason isn't.
-f0dder (October 26, 2009, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed...a lot of people have thrown around disparaging comments regarding µTorrent & usually these comments can almost always be traced back to people who are publishing a competing client. µTorrent's competitors are jealous of what it can do in such a small footprint & sour grapes is usually the order of the day. Even Bram Whatshishead, inventor of the BitTorrent protocol, was critical of µTorrent....until he bought the rights to it and now Bram Whatshishead proclaims from the highest rooftops how good µTorrent is.

A lot of people are critical of µTorrent as it performs just as well as any other client in a much smaller footprint than most of them. Lots of implied behavior, guesses, and wild-assed guesses as to what might be happening always come up in discussions about this client, but proof is always in short supply.

Running a BitTorrent client on your computer is handy if you are going to be torrenting stuff only once in a great while, but if you plan on torrenting for any major lengths of time you should look into running it on a low-power device like a NAS or a router allowing you to free up your computer for other things, including the ability to turn it off when you leave your desk without interrupting your torrents.

(Disclaimer: What follows is editorial content and does not in any way, shape, or form reflect on my opinion of the OP and for what purposes innocent or nefarious s/he may or may not being using a BitTorrent client.)

I always find it amusing when the subject of BitTorrent clients comes up how quickly it is mentioned that the person is using said program to download Linux ISOs. How many Linux ISOs does one need? Evidently a crap-load of 'em as the client requirements are always for something small, efficient, and fast so the most throughput can be gained with the least amount of system resources used implying this client will be used quite a bit....to download as many Linux ISOs as possible, I guess.  ;D

f0dder:
Funny thing is that you almost always get abysmal speeds when getting linux ISOs via torrents, whereas the various university http/ftp mirrors can easily be abused for 2MB/s downloading. The opensores community should really embrace the torrent technology and set up clients on their mirrors :)

Kamel:
I find that utorrent not only lacks some features I love, but it also has much less respect for the connection settings I set, in some conditions causing poor internet performance, and even crashing routers despite extremely limiting connection settings (100 connections global max).-Kamel (October 25, 2009, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

µTorrent also did that on my router but it's not just the number of connections that is the problem - it's also how fast they're made.

My router was resetting every few hours using µTorrent no matter what connection limit I used until I changed two Advanced values - since then, not one µTorrent related router reset.

bt.connect_speed = 8
net.max_halfopen = 4

All of which is mentioned in the TroubleShooting section here.
-4wd (October 25, 2009, 08:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I see, I was unaware of these settings. That was the problem, the amount of half open connections utorrent used. I still prefer deluge though, for many other reasons. One of them being the half open connection limit is very easily settable from the interface.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version