ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

wanted: simple, stable bittorrent client for windows

<< < (6/11) > >>

Darwin:
I just use one of the Opera torrent widgets. I'm not on my own computer at the moment, so can't post a link to the one I use, but later today will check and post it here. At any rate, it's been great! I tried using whatever Vuze (formerly Azeurus), but didn't like it.
-Darwin (October 25, 2009, 03:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is the Opera widget I've been using: Torrent Power Search.

nosh:
+1 for utorrent. (Forgive me, tµxman!)
I run it in portable mode.

f0dder:
µTorrent is rather bloated, compared to other clients.-Tuxman (October 25, 2009, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's the worst nonsense I've heard in a while.

µTorrent has a bunch of features, yes, but they're features that a lot of people find useful (and thus not feature bloat), while the executable is still tiny (a lot smaller than halite, iirc - and thus not exe bloat either).

It's µ, not u. And did you compare it to Halite? Much more stuff in it. "Bloated".
Additionally, µTorrent is known for unfair behavior...
-Tuxman (October 25, 2009, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
Didn't read through all of that, so dunno if any conclusion was reached. But perhaps it's not "favoring other µt clients" but rather people who have set their clients to only accept protocol-encrypted clients?

Plus, the installer places the program in the uTorrent Folder so I guess I am right too ;-)
-Josh (October 25, 2009, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
These guys are not even able to spell their own software's name. You see?
-Tuxman (October 25, 2009, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sure they are, but unicode characters aren't always the smartest thing to put in file/folder names.

RE: µtorrent cheating: I remember reading a bunch of complaints that it manipulates something to make it get stuff faster than other clients. I don't remember the details, that's why I through it out for comment. Maybe it doesn't do that anymore. I'm not sure if µtorrent was the one.
-tinjaw (October 25, 2009, 07:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
That was BitComet (and other clients), doing nasty stuff like spamming the tracker announce... µTorrent never did anything like this, afaik.

I have a linux server running rTorrent for most of my needs, but if I need to grab something fast, it's µTorrent on Windows. Works well, has the options I need, and is able to handle 20mbit downstream without disk thrashing.

Tuxman:
while the executable is still tiny (a lot smaller than halite, iirc - and thus not exe bloat either).-f0dder (October 26, 2009, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
UPX-packed, I presume? So it will be unpacked on runtime -> large overhead.

Didn't read through all of that, so dunno if any conclusion was reached.-f0dder (October 26, 2009, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, it was: µTorrent systematically leeches non-µTorrent clients.

f0dder:
while the executable is still tiny (a lot smaller than halite, iirc - and thus not exe bloat either).-f0dder (October 26, 2009, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
UPX-packed, I presume? So it will be unpacked on runtime -> large overhead.-Tuxman (October 26, 2009, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
I know about exe compression overhead, but it makes perfect sense for µTorrent - it's single-instance, and the .exe is downloaded directly (ie, no zip compression around it) so exe compression is just fine.

When de-upx'ed, µTorrent 1.8.2 (haven't bothered upgrading to the latest-and-greatest) weighs in at 577kb. Halite is ~5.4meg for the main executable, and does it support HTTPS trackers yet? You might want to apologize for calling µTorrent bloated.

(Note that I'm not criticizing halite, I respect Eóin quite a lot, and find that people often obsess about executable file size where it doesn't matter much - but I'm not the one who started this silliness.)

Didn't read through all of that, so dunno if any conclusion was reached.-f0dder (October 26, 2009, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, it was: µTorrent systematically leeches non-µTorrent clients.
-Tuxman (October 26, 2009, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
Proof, please? There's nothing of that in the post you linked to earlier, just speculation. If µTorrent really did "favor it's brethren", I probably wouldn't be going 2MB/s with rTorrent in a swarm consisting mostly of (leeching) µTorrent clients :-\ :-\ :-\

There's a lot of eyes on the µTorrent executable because it's such a popular client - both white-, grey- and blackhats. I haven't been following closely, but I'm pretty sure I would've heard if anybody caught it doing nefarious things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version