ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

wanted: simple, stable bittorrent client for windows

<< < (5/11) > >>

Josh:
Might have been, might not have. I do know that several private trackers I use ban the users of bitcomet.

Kamel:
I'm not one to follow the main stream sometimes, and this is definitely one of those times.

I find that utorrent not only lacks some features I love, but it also has much less respect for the connection settings I set, in some conditions causing poor internet performance, and even crashing routers despite extremely limiting connection settings (100 connections global max).

If that seems to be your experience with utorrent, I'd highly recommend using deluge. This program has a seperated interface and daemon, along with internet tracking so that you can log in directly to the program from a remote location and add torrents, or manage your client however you see fit. All over a lightweight http interface.

That is why deluge gets my recommendation when it comes to bit torrent clients (no matter the platform). There are atleast a gazillion clients out there, so I'm sure you wont have any trouble finding one that suits your needs.

40hz:
On those very rare occasions I need to do a torrent download, I'll just use the torrent feature in Free Download Manager (www.freedownloadmanager.org) which is my Win D/L tool of choice for everything else.

Note: I'm not a big torrent freak so I don't need to keep a separate client on hand just to do that. Your needs may be different.

4wd:
I find that utorrent not only lacks some features I love, but it also has much less respect for the connection settings I set, in some conditions causing poor internet performance, and even crashing routers despite extremely limiting connection settings (100 connections global max).-Kamel (October 25, 2009, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

µTorrent also did that on my router but it's not just the number of connections that is the problem - it's also how fast they're made.

My router was resetting every few hours using µTorrent no matter what connection limit I used until I changed two Advanced values - since then, not one µTorrent related router reset.

bt.connect_speed = 8
net.max_halfopen = 4

All of which is mentioned in the TroubleShooting section here.

+1 for µTorrent.  It runs 24/7 here but TBH, it's speed isn't that important to me since my main source of material is newsgroups.

JavaJones:
I'm a µTorrent fan as well, have been since the beginning. As one of the best and most popular clients, it will naturally have its detractors, people who claim it cheats, or that it has spyware since it was bought by the Bittorrent people (that should give you a clue right there how good it is) and the Bittorrent people have a legal deal with the MPAA. So far as I've seen most, if not all of these claims have been unsubstantiated, or at the very least exaggerated. µTorrent is fast, stable, it has all the right features (for me), none of the ones I don't need, and it's about as far from bloated as any app comes these days, as a single stand-alone EXE well below 1MB.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version